21st Feb....3 weeks to go

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never had a rooster named A*^hole....but I've had some named I-hate-you-and-i'm-going-to-eat-you.
Pretty sure that's the name my cat has given me........hopefully she will wait until I'm dead.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your girls look so soft and fluffy. I want to see pics of them after shearing--if you think they wouldn't be embarrassed being shown in their underwear.
No, they're a bit brazen.....wander about all pink and (relatively) skinny....no shame! I only have two breeds, Beulah Speckled Face (a local breed of hill sheep with a thick, soft fleece....like most of the ones in the pics. above, fleece used in knitwear and good-quality carpets), and Blue Faced Leicester....huge girls with bowed noses and silky, ringlet fleeces whose wool is used in fine knitwear (like the girl in the last of the first set of pics. towering over the others. The girls have been getting Se/Co/B12 regularly and it seems to have had a good effect on their fleeces.

I've never had a rooster named A*^hole....but I've had some named I-hate-you-and-i'm-going-to-eat-you.
:p

A*^hole has an interesting history. I hatched him from 6 hatching eggs I bought....Gold Partridge Brahma. 5 eggs candled 'good' at day 10. Then,6 days before due hatch date, and we had a power-outage for 8 hours due to replacement of overhead cables.The 5 eggs were shifted to our old stove top, where I attempted to keep them up to temperature. They got WAY too warm.....3 were partially cooked. On the day following the power outage I candled the two survivors......and dropped the egg containing A^*hole! Big crack in shell, but inner membrane intact. I found the only nail varnish in the house (bright pink) and sealed the egg. 4 days later and out came A^*hole:jumpy...healthy and noisy. I had intended to call him James......sort of posh name, posh bird etc. He grew into the huge and beautiful bird I have now, but somewhere along the way developed a mean streak. One day, whilst feeding the sheep, he came at me from behind. Now I am the world's softie with animals, but THAT I won't have. I kicked him, fair and square, shouting 'You A^*hole' and he shot into the air....since which time he has been called A^*hole. He has attacked a couple of other folk and my dog (several times), but he had never gone for OH who deemed him to be the finest example of the breed he had ever seen, a 'potential show winner', and 'just a bit spirited'. All that changed a few days ago when OH was bending over the ATV, fiddling with the engine, and A^*hole attacked from behind. NOW A^*hole is living on borrowed time as 'Son of A^*hole' has all of his looks,a crow that is gloriously like a foghorn (he stays in the sheep shed 200 yards from the house and no near neighbours),and NONE of his attitude. The dog will enjoy his big, posh a^*e!

Latest posts