2wk kid, bottle fed, sudden fever grinding teeth shaking

Brae Robertson

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She seemed to be doing better today. Visited her sister, nibbled on various things, drank about 24oz total.

Fever came back at 7pm. Shaking, teeth grinding. By 8:40 she was drowning. At 8:59 I prayed that my hand be true and that her suffering end quickly. At 9:00 she cried out, released her last breath, and at that exact moment a cricket started its song next to us. At 9:20 she was buried beneath a tall tree on the hill overlooking our house and the pasture.

I never intended to have baby goats, or even to bottle feed one. But four times a day I would set her in my lap and we would look in each other’s eyes, make little noises to each other, and she would wag her tail.

Growing up on a farm I was never this attached or affected by a death. She entered and left this world in my arms—it is all so very brief.

And we get up and do it the next day.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost her. You did right by her in her short life and gave her a chance. It is so very hard to put your heart into one of them and have to let a little piece of it go when they go. :hugs

And we get up and do it the next day.
We do. We all go through the hard times, but the good times make it bearable.