3 day old ND kid, weak, not nursing, not standing - PICTURES!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Wayyy cute, good luck w/ her.

I've found that an oft-fed (tubed) kid won't suckle b/c they don't get a chance to get hungry. As she gets stronger and you space out the feedings she may well figure it all out.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding a nipple that will work.

One for puppies and kittens is too small. Human baby bottle is too big.

I checked TSC and everything they had was way too big.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
We use the red pritchard nipples (TSC usually has them though they are really pricey considering I can order them through Jeffers at a fraction of that, but when you need something fast...). After being on mom, you will have to put the nipple in her mouth and hold her on it to get milk in her. Be prepared for a mess and a bit of frustration but in a week, she will be much easier about taking it. Letting her get hungry will help.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yes, the pritchard nipples are great for the smaller goats. put something sweet on the nipple, and then wait till she starts looking around for food. i hate to tube feed, irritates the esophagus if done too often

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I looked at the Pritchard ones - they are huge.

I'm not sure how much a Nigerian baby should weigh, but she's tiny to me.

Our doe had a single this year and she was big.

Trying the puppy bottle again. At least she's fighting me. Last night I could have done anything to her ans she just laid there.

So should she be put back with mom and bottle fed, or is she mine full time now?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
We use pritchards with out NDs and we bottle feed exclusively here--she is only resisting because it is new to her. I would not try to put her back on mom at this point and would just keep working on the bottle. I am sure it is frustrating but she will get it. Use a finger to prop open the corner of her mouth to slide the nipple in, then cup her nose around it with you hand. You might even gently squeeze a few drips in to get the taste in her mouth and trigger swallowing (not too much though--don't want her to aspirate it). If you can cut out the tube feedings and try to stick to three feedings a day, 4-6 ounces at a time, she will start taking the bottle eagerly in a few days.

Edited to add that her weight is perfect. :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never tube fed one, but when we've had weak kids we would just use a syringe to get colustrum in there mouth and watch for them to start swallowing.

That might be an interim step you could try, just take a syringe and squirt a small amount in her mouth to get the swallowing action going first.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She WILL NOT take a bottle. I tried spacing out the feedings so she'd be REAL hungry. Nope.

Has anyone taught a kid to drink out of a bowl like an adult?

I'm desperate.