3 day old ND kid, weak, not nursing, not standing - PICTURES!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would leave her go for 8 to 10 hours before trying a bottle.
What are you considering spacing out? Then just put the nipple(if prefer prichard) in her mouth and do not squeeze if they get too much milk in their mouth it can scare them. The pritchard will drip enough milk in that she should swallow it. Even if she sucks for 5 seconds and stop, call it good enough. then wait another 2 or 3 hours and do it again.
Milk should be at body temp or a degree above. Temp. of milk is important. The baby we were tube feeding, went 12 hours from the last tub feding before any sucking started, and then even part of that day he only drank 1/2(15 cc's) ounce a couple times before finally drinking 3 or 4 ounces. This was a 9 lb kid at 5 days old. He would normally be drinking 8 to 10 ounces at a time.

I think it will take a day of him practically starving to get a sucking reflex back. You can't tube feed him forever. He can put a bowl of warm milk out, but in my personal opinion he is going to need to be really hungry to try that as well.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Never done a bowl, but have trained several kids that were not bottle fed at first. It takes a lot of work the first week to get them to take and you will have to open her mouth, put the nipple in, hold her muzzle on the bottle, and will make a mess in the process. I am not sure if you are still trying with the pritchards or lamb nipples, but they are designed to the shape that a kid would normally latch onto and they work really well once the kid learns to use them. Do you happen to have any goat people in you area? It would be nice if someone could show you in person.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Another Vet visit today. Now she has pneumonia. I had to give her back to the breeder on Sunday night because my work schedule does not allow for tube feedings every few hours. She's now on another antibiotic for the next four days.

The breeder has been trying everything she has. The Pritchard nipples are even larger than what we already have.

The vet said to keep up the tube feeding every two hours but cut the amount back to 1oz at a time instead of 2oz. The vet also gave her a larger syringe to try and get some sucking reflex going.

My Nigerian Doe is still in milk - not much - but she's still letting her 10 week old kid nurse. Should I just strap her into the milk stand and hold her to let the baby get some nurishment? She may never forgive me if I force a strange kid on her. :D

My frustration level is at an all time high.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm picking up the little one from the breeder to keep her for the weekend. My Hoeggers order has been overnighted - four different kinds of nipples. I'm going to throw everything I have at this little one to get her to nurse.

She's peeing and pooping regularly, seems to have more energy. She's "tasting" everything she gets her mouth on.

Think good thoughts everyone! :fl

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well we tried another plan tonight. I put my other doe on the milk stand and held her while the baby nursed. I have a baby with a full tummy, and a very ticked off doe. :D

The pritchard nipple is the smallest I have. She gets in in her mouth and then chews on it instead of nursing.

I can't force her on this doe every two hours, but at least I know she has some nursing instinct.

Stubborn little goat anyway................ :/

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This may sound silly, but.... maybe you could try rubbing the bottle and nipple all over the teat of the doe your kid nursed (like, a lot of rubbing on the teat to really get the smell ALL over it), and then squirt the doe's milk on the nipple, even have a cup of the doe's milk nearby to dip the bottle nipple in it, for the flavor (and smell) of 'real' goats milk from the 'tap', and see if she goes for the bottle a bit more eagerly? Maybe that will help her adjust more quickly?

Sorry if that sounds odd.... but I know how it feels to really want and need a kid to accept a bottle, and I am just going out on a limb here for ideas..

Hoping for the best for you little one. :fl