3 day old ND kid, weak, not nursing, not standing - PICTURES!

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm actually squirting the goat milk into her mouth and then she swallows it. She just will not latch on to the nipple. This makes feeding time last an hour. :he

I'm going to stick her under my doe again later today. My poor Lucy may never speak to me again after I force this kid on her! Lucy's baby is 11 weeks old and still going in for a drink now and then. She was a single, and she's huge.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I hope you won't be offended by my saying this but the kid is probably getting confused with all of the nipples and then dam nursing. It might be best if you choose a method and stick with it for a few weeks to get her established on one.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
I hope you won't be offended by my saying this but the kid is probably getting confused with all of the nipples and then dam nursing. It might be best if you choose a method and stick with it for a few weeks to get her established on one.
X2.
It seems that the baby is going to learn that if it holds out long enough, it will get the doe again. It may work out better if it gets no other nipple than the one on the bottle.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
RemudaOne said:
Pearce Pastures said:
X2.
It seems that the baby is going to learn that if it holds out long enough, it will get the doe again. It may work out better if it gets no other nipple than the one on the bottle.
X3 Goats are smart. She knows if she doesn't suck you're either gonna tube feed her or stick her on an udder. Either way she's getting what she wants if she holds out.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
FINALLY - I got her to take a bottle! She took 1.5 oz and then 2 hours later took 2 oz.

:weee

I refused to tube her. She finally got hungry enough.

Thanks to all that posted. The moral support and advice paid off!

:celebrate

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yahoooooooo!!!!!!!! Congratulations and good job!!!!! :celebrate :bow :thumbsup