3 week old doe not acting right please help

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my three week old doe was just switch from moms milk to formula she took to it well but today is kind of hunched up and grinding her teeth she was trying too poop this morning but could only get one little droplet out so i gave her a soapy water enema and i have SEEN her go three timea today normal and solid looking but still hunched up she is peeing normal to i was advised to give her baking soda which i did this morning and after a little while i gave her a little more of her bottle and she started munching on some hay like her sister now shes fussing w bottle again etc so i have some whole cows milk on the way since formala obviously isnt agreeing w her and i just gave her anoyher dose of baking soda...no milk this time. what else can i do and should i giveher cows milk at her next feeding or skip a feedig?

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
also she does not sound sloshy in the tummy you can here gurglig only when shes drinking and shes not floppy she is walkig straight not "drunk-like" just seems slow and wants to be snuggly you can tell she doesnt feel well spending a lot of time standing hunched or laying down. last night she was runnig around and already trying ro escape the pen so i know that this is off for her personality

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
right so what can i do to make her feel better? ive heard so many horror stories about baby goats and floppy kid etc that it scares me even tho common sense says its probably just change in diet...can this turn into something worse?

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
is it ok to try cows milk at her next feeding or am i going to fuel the fire by doing this?

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i tried giving her whole cows milk she wont take the bottle at all now andher bleat is soundig a little weak.she was shivering a bit so i fired up the woodstove (theu have a 6x8 pen in our basement until a little older) and put a light in the pen shes standing under the light and still wont take the bottle but is eating quitr a bit of hay...i have a pan of water out at all times for them but have yet to see one of them drink it....if anyone has any imput that would be great

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If it was me I would give eletrolytes and probiotic paste.
At this point it would be best to get the rumin back up and running right.
You don't want her full of milk if her stomach is not functioning correctly.
If you can find someone that has raw goat milk and use that when she is ready.
Don't forget that a stressed goat is wide open for cocidea.
If you must force some electrolyte and water down her take care not to aspirate her.
It may be worthwhile to involve your vet. They can show you how to tube her if that's nec.
Hopefully the problem will resolve itself soon.
Good luck

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Is her mom your goat or did you buy this doeling from someone? If the mom is yours then go out and milk her and mix the goat's milk 50/50 with whole cow's milk for a few days then slowly up the amount of cow's milk until it's all cow's milk. Just get rid of the formula. If you don't have access to the mom, then go with the cow's milk. Make sure you warm it.

Take her temp.

Do you have a goat vet that you can involve?

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thank you for the responses ive beenso busy w her i havent been able to respond. unfortunatley vets who have mutch knowledge of goatsare far and few between. my mom came down after work and helped me tube some electtes into her i have given her nutra drench and a bose shot (not sure of spelling) i cannot find probiotics for goats around here ive called all the surroundding farm supply stores. there is one who has it for cattle but not sure id this would be safe....would the live cultures in yogurt be bennificial to her? and should i be giving her milk along with electrolytes? i dont want to starve her but w tummu troubles i have held off.... shes very small compared to my other doe and my other doe is thriving but i did put her on cows milk instead of the formula to be safe....im trying to be optimistic but i have a feeling i may loosr her she has hit that floppy state twice and ive manahe to brig her out of it but not bring her fully around. shes a little xool so ive got her w a hot water bottle and have a heat lamp pointed towards her sleeping hut were she is laying. she is holding her head up on her own again i tubed her another three ounces of electrolytes a few hours ago. can i reuse the electrolytes if i mix more than i get into her? i got some into her by bottle over the night but wasnt sure if it was safe to use again so i miced new

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the packaging says nothing about refridgeration or storage of any sort