3 week old pygmy weaned himself is this harmfull

battygoatlady

Just born
Reaction score
Got a package deal on some pygmy goats. One had a baby but her utter ruptured and the bag was dragging the ground. The baby was two weeks old when we got him and doing well but the moma was having problems with her bag. We tried for a week but were unable to help her and had to put her down. At the time we assumed the baby was eating from the mother. But since the mama is gone he has never taken a bottle and won't drink the milk from a bowl either. He eats grain and drinks water. The only explanation we have is he had to eat or die so he weaned himself. Should I be giving him any supplemental nurtrition somehow? We offer alfalfa hay as well but he does not eat it much. The vet says if he's eating he's fine but she's more of a small animal vet so I'd like other goat peoples opinion.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I think I would sprinkle powdered milk into his feed and allow him to eat goat pellets/alfalfa pellets free choice...what a sad story on the fellow!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
the op said she was feeding him hay and grain ...

if he's eating, he will survive. He will most likely always be a little behind the 8 ball but he will cope. Free choice grain and hay for this little guy for 2 - 3 months, make sure the protein in the grain is 16% or higher, 18 - 20% is much better.

farmin'chick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We buy feed grade powdered molasses to add to the grain/feed ration for any of ours needing supplements...you might want to make sure you have a creep feeder set up for him to make sure he gets enough food without having to fight for it.

Also, as long as he's getting a balanced goat ration, I'll tell you that one of my babies supplements herself on 21% protein all grain chick starter/grower....she just helps herself. It's very fine and easy for them to chew.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
DONT FEED THEM CHICKEN FEED!

chicks are meat eaters ... goats are not.

nothing good comes of letting them eat chicken feed

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Agree with Username, Farmin Chick...that chicken feed will do terrible things to your kid! Forget the bloat, the bad ca/ph levels which can even throw a doe into UC...it will also mess up her system in a bad way - causing selenium issues, stunting her growth, etc. Better find a way to keep her out of the chicken feed!

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I lost a doe when her babies were 2 1/2 wks old and got them to take the bottle...it was a challenge and got milk all over me but the buckling took to the bottle first and the little doeling took 2 days till she took the bottle ...He needs milk and it will take lots of work but he will take the bottle if you just keep after him. These were Mini Alpines and larger than the smaller breeds and harder to handle and really flighty but they calmed down after learning how to eat from a bottle and now the doeling has a baby of her own and I am milking her..It can be done and You will win...Good luck

battygoatlady

Just born
Reaction score
We've had bottle babies before but I never had to fight them to eat. Will I hurt his mouth by prying it open to get him to take a bottle. I've also read you can drown them by trying to force them to eat is this true? Thanks for all the great advice!

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had to pry my doelings mouth open for about 2 days and then she got the idea...I think it depends on the type of nipple that your useing to feed him with. I use the pritchard type nipple ...red with yellow cap. It controls the flow. but a baby bottle will work also. Just make sure when he starts taking it that you can still get that type of bottle incase the nipple gets chewed off..lol...been tehre. Good luck