1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Member need info, new to bee keeping - Help each other out discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

4 bales of Alfalfa or 1 round bale of coastal?

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Sheep' started by Sasmith, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jan 22, 2018
    Sasmith

Sasmith Exploring the pasture

I'm rotating about 10 pregnant/lactating ewes 1 very pregnant Jersey and a handful of Boer goats together. The pasture they're on at the moment was pretty sparse to begin with but recent frost really did it in. My question is I can get 4 square bales for the same price as a round bale of coastal so anybody have any opinions on which would be better for the animals grass and soil?

2. Jan 22, 2018
    mysunwolf

mysunwolf True BYH Addict

I personally am too cheap to buy alfalfa hay, I'd buy the coastal and then supplement with a little grain or alfalfa pellets.

Latestarter likes this.
  3. Jan 22, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

I buy alfalfa for my goats, but they're VERY spoiled... Everything else I've tried, they don't like. I would go with the round bale (cheaper) and see how they do with it. As Mysunwolf said, you can always supplement additional protein and the like if needed.

4. Jan 23, 2018
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

I have fed high quality alfalfa hay cut at 10% bloom so that the stems are soft to hundreds of sheep every year when the pastures turn brown in late Spring through fall due to lack of rainfall. I also supplemented the weaned lambs with cracked corn, rolled oats and barley to fatten for market. I also flushed the ewes with this grain mixture starting in early July to increase twinning for the breeding season in early August. I never experienced any issues with calcium inballance.

5. Jan 23, 2018
    Sasmith

Sasmith Exploring the pasture

Our sheep and goats are anything but spoiled. We've been on our property for a little over a year and this is the first time they've seen any sort of supplements other than free choice minerals. I guess at the moment I'd like to have the ewes lamb around October and have last year's lambs be ready for market around the same time. After watching them this last year on just pasture I realize that even though they've survived fine I'm probably going to need to start giving them more them be really high quality and I'm just trying to figure out a feeding routine. At least for the winter months

Latestarter likes this.