4 month old Nigerian Dwarf doeling with diarrhea and cough

MystificAK

Just born
Reaction score
I just recently purchased our first two Nigerian Dwarf goats and everything seemed fine, they had a minor cough but nothing constant, just a cough every once in awhile that we figured might be due to stress because of the change to their new home, When we purchased them they were dewormed before being given to use. Well today one of the doelings is showing signs of diarrhea and still have a cough however the other seems just fine no cough or diarrhea. They are both acting normal eating and drinks and running around playing. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have not taking her temperature yet so I do not know if she is running a fever. But could the cough and diarrhea be due to stress of a new environment and new feed, they are on the same grain as the previous home but they are receiving more Hay at our home, since at the previous home they spent most of their time foraging on the extremely large property of the previous owners. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since these are our first goats, Thank you ahead of time.

GoatCrazyLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Give them electrolyte water asap and a shot of antibiotic. When I got my Nigerian baby, same thing. He had a cough, watery eyes and diareaha. Cleared right up. You can also give pepto if you don't have electrolytes on hand. I will never be with out either in the house again.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would get a temp before giving any antibiotics. My guess would be a coccidia bloom. I would treat for coccidia.

I would also give some Probios.

MystificAK

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions, the diarrhea continued for only about 8 hours and now has turned back into the little berries like it should be, the only concern now is the cough, and I plan on calling the breeder today and having her come and look at her since I am of course a worried first time owner and want to go everything right as possible by the little girls. Thank you all again :) I will update :)