4 week old rabbits

Claude

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here is a couple of pics of my first litter that survived the very first ones I had were born on the cage floor a lot later than they should of been so there was no nest box in the cage cause I pulled out after 45 days and no kits now before you all start in about chicken wire and wood floors on half of the cage these were the materials I had on hand to get started to try raising meat rabbits to help feed me and the 7 kids I am raising plus one more kid on the way I just found out about a week ago so not a lot of money to spend on welded wire or other cage materials.

Attachments

• 20161218_182602.jpg
    20161218_182602.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20161218_182610.jpg
    20161218_182610.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 127

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first litter. I was there, myself, not too long ago. It looks like the dam is a Californian. What breed sire are you using for raising meat?

No criticism here for your hutches. Making the best use of what you have on hand is a skill from which we all can benefit.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's hard to know what's the best way when you're starting out. You do what you can as far as taking care of the family and what could be better than fresh white meat.

Claude

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first litter. I was there, myself, not too long ago. It looks like the dam is a Californian. What breed sire are you using for raising meat?

No criticism here for your hutches. Making the best use of what you have on hand is a skill from which we all can benefit.
The trio I got are all new zealand white Californian cross.

Claude

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks everyone and while I was cleaning the cage the other day I noticed one of the kits is definitely showing the new zealand white genes. She is solid white no black or grey on her ears nose or tail all the others look more like a Californian.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thats great! You can get some really cool color combinations from crosses. Are you planning to keep the pelts?

Claude

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thats great! You can get some really cool color combinations from crosses. Are you planning to keep the pelts?
I'm thinking about it when I was younger I used to brain tan everything I killed while hunting and trapping but I had a lot more time back then that was before joining the army and having kids and now long work hours in a factory. So not sure if I'll have time to properly do everything to properly preserve the hides. I'm thinking about giving it a shot and seeing if I can get it done with everything else going on.