4 week Pygmy, how to I get it to take a bottle?

Katiedoo24

Just born
Reaction score
Help! My 4 week old Pygmy twins mom is gone and I need to get them on the bottle, but obviously they are terrified and refusing. They are eating grain and hay and drinking water but I don't know how to get the milk replacer into them. Any advice?! Thanks a bunch!!!!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are eating grain, just mix the milk with grain or hay pellets (if they already had grain...hay pellets might be best as too much grain and milk =runs)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh...if that wasn't clear.... they should eat the milk mixed with whatever out of a pan, bowl, or bucket. Don't try to stuff it in a bottle.

Katiedoo24

Just born
Reaction score
Oh okay awesome so that's sufficient? Great!!!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh okay awesome so that's sufficient? Great!!!
Yep...specially by 4 weeks of age...they should be eating lots of "other stuff" besides just milk.

Also, the hay pellets, or grain, or whatever you mix with the milk, can absorb ALOT of milk. So just adjust as needed.

Remember though with goats, all food changes need to be done gradually.

Also, super soft poo means they need more roughage and less grain and milk.

Katiedoo24

Just born
Reaction score
Their poop is perfect right now still so I'm happy with that! I've just been adding the formula to the grain/pellet mixture, and it's working okay, they aren't sure about the mushy texture but are still eating it so I'm happy. So far so good! Hopefully we continue on this path. Any recommendations on age to get the boy neutered? They are twins and I don't want to accidentally end up with in bred babies haha

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds good on the food.

As to neutering. ....

Is he going to be food or a pet?

We neutered at about 6 weeks. That was nice. ..testicles big enough to see when cutting them out, but so small still that there was close to zero blood.

But maybe for a pet you want them intact for longer??? To let the urethra grow larger or some such??

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, as for the neutering, know that goats can breed as young as 8 weeks. So, you'll have to do it soon. Especially since you don't want siblings to breed. Good luck!

Latest posts