misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have this powder, should I go get the gel instead?
View attachment 86790View attachment 86791

I used the probios gel but I dont know if one is better then the other.

Comparing ingredients and dosage
Blue Ribbon - 60 billion CFU bacteria - dosage 2.5g/day
Probios - min 10 million CFU bacteria - dosage 10g

I would say it is a pretty similar product, it has the same 4 strains of bacteria. Just give 10g once and then dont give anymore for a few days at least. It is not possible to overdose on but to much probiotics can cause bloating, gas, and nausea which won't help his appetite or how well he appears.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not good.
He may die or be on/off sickly forever.

Blood test showed he may not of gotten colostrum or of inferior quality, but others googled it and the test is unreliable after day 7. So why did the vet test it?

May have multiple abscesses in organs, but no way to test it. And septicemia, but idk if that can be tested.

He's on Polyflex 2mL 2× a day for 2wks, supportive care & a shyt ton of luck...AKA living on a prayer.

Can't say why the vet tested for it and I also cant say the info I found is the end all be all.

I hope he recovers.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now to get his feet to heal...Trimmed the toes a bit, but they're different than sheep or horse hooves...I can't tell how tall the wall should be and the sole is so hard. It's confusing. There isn't any wall past the sole, either.
The Hoof GP on youtube is excellent resource for cow hooves. Glad he's starting to feel better!

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
From watching youtube videos of people trimming dairy cattle, it looks like they more or less trim them like sheep, just take it all flat to the bottom of the sole and knock the dewclaws down.

I would imagine as young as he is, that he likely just doesn't need a trim yet as it appears that cattle are trimmed every 6 months or so.

I believe you said the vet said that he was slightly foundered. Apparently that can happen with too much milk, maybe you just foundered him a little with the lamb strength milk when you were tubing him. From the sounds of it, it isn't a huge deal and he should recover ok though.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Many people come here for that very reason of learning all they can before acquiring new animals. Indeed, I studied here for 5 years before we moved to our place and bought sheep, and have asked for help along the way.
Exactly, I'm interested in getting sheep in the next few years (Jacobs) and I am on here, I have subscribed to the entire sheep forum and have almost read every thread in that forum from beginning to end, I watch sheep farmers on YouTube to see how they manage things.

No, I may not take everything they use and try it (one is a commercial meat sheep farm with 400 ewes that live in barns their entire lives, I will not be keeping mine inside, but learning about sheep issues, diseases, behavior, lambing is still very helpful no matter who you learn it from) but I can take bits and pieces from multiple places to decide how I will manage mine when I get them.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Exactly, I'm interested in getting sheep in the next few years (Jacobs) and I am on here, I have subscribed to the entire sheep forum and have almost read every thread in that forum from beginning to end, I watch sheep farmers on YouTube to see how they manage things.

No, I may not take everything they use and try it (one is a commercial meat sheep farm with 400 ewes that live in barns their entire lives, I will not be keeping mine inside, but learning about sheep issues, diseases, behavior, lambing is still very helpful no matter who you learn it from) but I can take bits and pieces from multiple places to decide how I will manage mine when I get them.
I love Sandi!!!