4H goat showing question

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi ya'll I am in 4H and I show in the Placerville County Fair Grounds every June 18-20th. And this is my 2nd year in 4H but my 1st year showing. I will be showing goats again next year and have a few questions about one goat class. I will be showing a Nigerian Dwarf doeling(I know how to do that), 1-2 market goats(I know how to do that), and a boer doe breeding class(this is what I need help with) how do you show this class? My doe will be a 1.5 years old next year and she will be breed next year as well. How do you show that breeding class? And she has horns is that ok as well? How about registration? Does she need to be registered to show in that class? How should I start training? How should I feed her? Should I run her to get muscle or no? I need help with this! Thanks in advance!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never done 4-h or shown animals at a fair.

But... I am pretty sure that Boers are always run and worked to make them beefier.

I know in Texas I saw people use all sorts of things with their Boers. Like making them climb part way up a ladder to eat, and drag a tire around while being led.

I have no idea what things were most successful though.

Maybe ask whoever is in charge of your 4-h?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi ya'll I am in 4H and I show in the Placerville County Fair Grounds every June 18-20th. And this is my 2nd year in 4H but my 1st year showing. I will be showing goats again next year and have a few questions about one goat class. I will be showing a Nigerian Dwarf doeling(I know how to do that), 1-2 market goats(I know how to do that), and a boer doe breeding class(this is what I need help with) how do you show this class? My doe will be a 1.5 years old next year and she will be breed next year as well. How do you show that breeding class? And she has horns is that ok as well? How about registration? Does she need to be registered to show in that class? How should I start training? How should I feed her? Should I run her to get muscle or no? I need help with this! Thanks in advance!
Honestly no idea really on most of those. Horns are fine for meat goats usually, no registration is needed for animals to show in fairs far as I know, my inclination would be not to work her to much if she is going to be bred depending on how far along she will be. Same advice, ask your local 4-h people. Only other thing I can say is try google/youtube?

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Honestly no idea really on most of those. Horns are fine for meat goats usually, no registration is needed for animals to show in fairs far as I know, my inclination would be not to work her to much if she is going to be bred depending on how far along she will be. Same advice, ask your local 4-h people. Only other thing I can say is try google/youtube?
I have never done 4-h or shown animals at a fair.

But... I am pretty sure that Boers are always run and worked to make them beefier.

I know in Texas I saw people use all sorts of things with their Boers. Like making them climb part way up a ladder to eat, and drag a tire around while being led.

I have no idea what things were most successful though.

Maybe ask whoever is in charge of your 4-h?
Ok, I will try Google/youtube....see what I can find. As well as my 4H leader see if she knows anything on this....thanks!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If this is a breeding stock class your fair entry booklet will tell you what type of registration papers (if any) you will need. Market and meat classes do not require registration papers. Breeding stock shows usually do require some sort of registration papers. Showing Boers in breeding classes is a trifle different than either market classes or dairy goat classes.

Youth market classes require all market wethers and does to be disbudded. No breed registration papers are necessary. Weights are checked for class, and purchase papers (if the animal is not home bred) are required since there is a minimum time ownership - usually 60 days.

Youth (and adult/open) Dairy goat breeding shows require all goats to be disbudded, including bucks in open shows.

Boer goat breeding show classes do not require all entries to be disbudded. UNLESS the Youth Show requires entries to be disbudded in the Youth Show. You can find out whether this is a requirement in the instructions and rules for the Fair. Also check the California State Rules for Fairs. Different rules are in place for Youth Shows at Fairs. If you cannot show a horned Boer goat in the Youth breedig show chek and see if there is an Open Breeding show. You might be able to show her in the Open Show without surrendering your Youth standing CHECK THIS OUT FIRST.

Market goats are shown in a chain collar to lead the goat.

Diary goats are shown in a chain collar to lead the goats.

Boer goats are usually shown in chain collars, although you can also show the in nylon collars. The chain collar gives a smoother neckline to the goat. You can also use a "short lead" attached to the collar to lead the goat. Using the "short lead" allows you to lead the goat without getting your hand stuck between the horns if the goat twists. The short lead is a 6"-7" webbing handle with a clip on the end to attach to the chain collar. The collar can be a choke chain that is passed around the neck - not made into a choke collar. Instead the ring ends of the choke chain are attached to the clip on the end of the handle. Since the choke chain is not made into a choker collar, the choke chain collar should be just large enough to go around the goat's neck and lay smoothly with about 1" for the "short leash" clip to be able to attach to the rings.

Remember when showing Boer goats that you will not pinch them down like dairy breeds. They do not have a level top line. They have a completely different body style. Their topline naturally has a very slight dip at the chine rising gently to round over the hip and butt.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ridgetop gave tons of good info. Goes to show there are many differences depending where you show. At our fair if a dairy goat is not disbudded for any show/class they can not be shown period.

Meat goats must be horned or they can not be shown for any class.

We have been trying to fight both but the majority of people just do whatever the rules say so not really any progress being made. The disbudding of diary kids is a big reason we stopped selling 4-h goats that were not being used for meat class.

The county over requires all goats be disbudded no matter breed or class.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dairy goats are usually required to be disbudded by all shows.

I think it is because the horns are difficult to accommodate in the stanchion. I prefer to disbud all dairy does, and used to disbud our Boer does too. Disbudding is a personal choice with me. I don't like horns because horns get caught in feeders and fences and can either tear them up or get tangled and pull the feeders over on themselves breaking bones. While some people like horns to give you a hand hold, dairy animals should be easy to handle since they are gong into the stanchions twice a day for milking. A collar is enough for them.

Most Boer people like the horns and I think there may be extra points in the shows now for them. Can't remember. What I don't like about the Boer horns is the same as for dairy - caught in fences and feeders. Also, the horned animals seem to fight more than the disbudded ones.

With horned goats, if they twist while you are leading them by a collar, your hand and fingers are caught not only in the twisted chain but under the horns. :somad:duc:hitPainful!

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There are many videos. But it is like market goat shows but 0 bracing and keeping off your animals. You want the judges to see your animals before they see you. Try to get them to walk smoothy. Set the legs fast and correctly. ALWAYS LOOK AT THE JUDGE that is the best advice out there.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My doe will be a 1.5 years old next year and she will be breed next year as well. And she has horns is that ok as well? They need to have horns to show. How about registration? I registered under Open Goat show registration. Does she need to be registered to show in that class? Yes if they have it available. She will be a breeding meat doe. How should I start training? With a prong show collar, drags here around everywhere so she understand that she has to walk. Showmanship practice of setting her up 2-3 times a week. How should I feed her? 18% formula of champions. 1 scoop in the morning and one at night, free alfalfa hay. Should I run her to get muscle or no? Yes if possible, they need to have large shoulders and hindquarters.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Boer goats are usually shown in chain collars, although you can also show the in nylon collars. The chain collar gives a smoother neckline to the goat. You can also use a "short lead" attached to the collar to lead the goat. Using the "short lead" allows you to lead the goat without getting your hand stuck between the horns if the goat twists. The short lead is a 6"-7" webbing handle with a clip on the end to attach to the chain collar. The collar can be a choke chain that is passed around the neck - not made into a choke collar. Instead the ring ends of the choke chain are attached to the clip on the end of the handle. Since the choke chain is not made into a choker collar, the choke chain collar should be just large enough to go around the goat's neck and lay smoothly with about 1" for the "short leash" clip to be able to attach to the rings.
You can use the other thing lister but the chain is best. The judge can see you have good control. A halter and lead gives the impression that you are not good with your animals and need a easier way of restraint. I train with a collar only and if I have a hater on my doe then it is so I can tie her up. Example below, she is getting tied up with the halter but the chain is on her neck so I can move it and then walk her. The chain goes right behind the jaw.

Attachments

• 734C5A80-CA09-4280-8160-DEAD2E137CF7.jpeg
    734C5A80-CA09-4280-8160-DEAD2E137CF7.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 108