4H goat showing question

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing you can use if it is uncomfortable to hold the collar because of her horns, you can get the sort of leash that is just a handle with a clip. That way you don't get bruised by the horns when she turns her head.

Market animals don't need registration papers to show, other than Bills of Sale, transport forms, and any DNA tests your fair requires. If required these will be done by the Fair at the Fairgrounds about 30-90 days prior to the show depending on the species.

I am confused as to whether you are asking about the goat being registered or whether you entered a Youth or Open class for the goat. If the show is for registered breeding goats, she must be registered with the American Boer Association (ABGA). For that her parents need to be registered and you should have gotten papers with her when you bought her. If she is already registered you will need to send those registration papers in with a check to the association and have her registration changed to your ownership. If the classes are for registered breeding goats, you will have to show those registration papers at the livestock office when you check in.

I looked up the entry guide for the El Dorado Fair. The only registered breeding goat classes in the Junior (Youth) show seem to be for dairy goats. If you are referring to the Junior meat goat breeding class that does not seem to require registration papers. The Division # is 511 and the class # for breeding does 12-24 months is 3. Is this the class in which you have entered her?

If your goat is not registered, and you have no registration papers for her, then she cannot be entered in the registered goat classes. You need to check with the Fair entry office. Some Fairs also have what are called "recorded grade" classes. Recorded grade goats also require registration papers. There is a special process by which you obtain them for a first time registration on a goat that has not previously been registered. This "On Appearance" recordation. You need to discuss your entry with your project leader to ascertain what classes your doe is eligible to enter.

Does the Fair or show have Junior (youth) classes? You must enter her in the correct Junior classes. You should only enter in Open classes if there are no Junior classes. Some Fairs allow Junior exhibitors to also enter Open classes if they are entered in the Junior classes first. Yoi need to know that by entering in Open classes instead of the correct youth classes you can endanger your Youth status in other shows. You need to check with the fair entry personnel. They can change your entry. If you have a leader, that person should know the rules. lf they don't, you need to check yourself since entering in the wrong classes can be a problem for you later. Always make sure. I used to get a new set of State Rules each year to be sure that my children and my project members were ok.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One thing you can use if it is uncomfortable to hold the collar because of her horns, you can get the sort of leash that is just a handle with a clip. That way you don't get bruised by the horns when she turns her head.
Yeh so they sell basically 2 types. Depends on the goat to what works better. The one with the leather handle that connects to the chain, gives the goat more of a wider pressure range. The other with the long handle that looks like a loop has a tight hold on the head.

Attachments

• 0D1227B0-6E04-421A-AA0A-FF88A1F8DD32.jpeg
    0D1227B0-6E04-421A-AA0A-FF88A1F8DD32.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 102
  • C157DC52-C9E5-4B95-BEFA-2FDCDF65D436.jpeg
    C157DC52-C9E5-4B95-BEFA-2FDCDF65D436.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 5915DB7D-28D9-47AC-8C04-A388E966C464.jpeg
    5915DB7D-28D9-47AC-8C04-A388E966C464.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 104

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used the short handle that attached straight to the collar. Now I use te left over oes to attach the buckets to the panels in the jugs. ;)