5 day old buckling humping issue

Jollie91

Just born
Reaction score
Hey, im new here but not new to owning and rescuing goats.
Background info: I have a 5 day old male goat who was dumped the day the were born. I took him home. Hes on whole cows milk and raised inside (all my orphans are raised inside until weaning)
My issue is hes constantly humping everything and I mean everything. My legs, hands, shoes, pillows, blankets, his pee pads, his bottle, even my human kids.
He has a lot of energy. Much more than any of the other orphans I've rescued.
Is this behaviour normal or is it an issue with him being so young? I've had them start around 2.5-3 weeks old and never this early.Thankyou for any advice :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you will want to correct him when he does this to any humans. It will get bad if not.

I know you said you raise you BB til weaning in the house but really they need to be out if weather permits by 5-10 days. They can still be bottle fed of course but it promotes goats being goats and really makes for a healthier animal.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you will want to correct him when he does this to any humans. It will get bad if not.

I know you said you raise you BB til weaning in the house but really they need to be out if weather permits by 5-10 days. They can still be bottle fed of course but it promotes goats being goats and really makes for a healthier animal.
x2

Does he have another goat buddy?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Glad you joined us. Browse around and make yourself at home. If you have other questions, just post them and chances are good someone will be along to help pretty fast. We have a great group of goat folks here. Please feel free to share some pics of your animals as well. We're a bunch of picture addicts here.