5 day old calf not eating, not active... Cause for concern?

BigMac

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Tied up his boys yesterday as soon as he started acting more energetic. He's adjusted nicely to being a little "constricted" down there, and seems to be no worse for wear today. Castration is one thing, I do have experience in. As kids, we worked a goat farm one summer and fixed about twenty kids in an afternoon. That was enough to get the hang of it. :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
cool beans.

four kids? sheesh, your a glutton! I've got three, but am the oldest of five. lol, those mornings can be crazy! lol

Good luck with your calf. I'll watch for updates!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is adorable. :love

I have to share with you what a small world it is.

20 years ago, in Fairfield CA, my sons took piano lessons from a lady named Dana Gossner. Her family owned a dairy in Utah. While looking at your facebook page I see that your baby came from Gossner dairy. How crazy is that. I haven't even thought of her or thier dairy in years.

Enjoy your baby.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Cute pictures on FB. So since you look like a young couple I have to ask how old are your children?

I've got 3 boys myself. They are 5, 3, and 1 year old. My oldest just started kindergarten this year. One day we may end up trying one more time to see if we can get a girl in the family but that's a few more years down the road.

BabyMac

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, this is Baby/Big Mac's mama. We're young-ish I guess. Our non furry babes are boys 5 & 4, and girls 2 1/2 and 1. We got lucky and the kiddos got built in best friends/ worst enemies.

BigMac

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone an update on our little calf... Baby Mac is thriving! I've posted photos and updates on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KaejjaFarms please go check it out for all the news, and please "like" us! Thank you again to RedTailGal and all the rest of you who provided such invaluable education and insight during those first few nerve-wracking weeks!

We started him weaning yesterday, and as of 4:30 PM of day two with no milk, he seems perfectly content (though he did seem peeved I brought him just a bucket of plain old water this morning!) and is munching away at grain and hay.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love good news!!!! Glad for your update...I had nothing to offer, but followed your thread :celebrate

BigMac

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement!

redtailgal

Reaction score
You are quite welcome! I am glad to have been a help.

And thank you for updating us. All to often we will try to help and worry over a critter, only to be left to wonder how things turned out. It's so nice to know.

GASP......a bucket of water! The HORROR of it all! FOR SHAME! lol My calves always like to get a little dramatic. The last holstein calf I raised was INTENT on making me feel shame....he cried and cried, even fell down a few times. Oddly enough, he lived through it, lol.