5 gallon bucket endurance question...

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you all are like me, you've noticed that the cheap 5 gallon buckets are amazing and versatile. I use them for a lot and they are cheap if you do things right.

But recent usage into them has me wondering about a few things....

You may have noticed like I have, how badly and how fast cheap plastics literally dissolve over time in the sun. This has been my experience with blue tarps especially and a few other types of garbage plastics.

This has prompted me to wonder how long 5 gallon buckets will last when used year round outside for chores?

What do you think about this?

I'd like to really know this. And I think when others see this threat they'll also want to know because most of us don't want to be re-buying equipment over and over.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made two chicken feeders out of 5 gallon buckets my first year with chickens. That was six years ago. I have kept them outside year round. One is still going strong. The other, I noticed in the spring, it had a slight crack in it. I bought some special Gorilla tape to fix it with, but haven’t gotten around to it. But despite the crack, it is still going strong too. (But that one also needs its PVC elbow ports re glued on with new silicone, so it’s actually just limping along now.)

So six years and counting. Full time outside, rain or shine, snow or heat. Love them.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The worst ones I had lasted 3 years outside. Your opening sentence summed it up- cheap 5 gallon buckets :D =D So if you get 3 years and they were cheap to start with, you have got your money's worth.

So the worst lasted 3 years? How about the best case scenario?

Thanks so much.

I guess if I weren't using them for animals I'd want to coat them with something.

Wait...

Would putting duct tape around the outsides make them last longer? (Redneck sunblock anyone?)

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I made two chicken feeders out of 5 gallon buckets my first year with chickens. That was six years ago. I have kept them outside year round. One is still going strong. The other, I noticed in the spring, it had a slight crack in it. I bought some special Gorilla tape to fix it with, but haven’t gotten around to it. But despite the crack, it is still going strong too. (But that one also needs its PVC elbow ports re glued on with new silicone, so it’s actually just limping along now.)

So six years and counting. Full time outside, rain or shine, snow or heat. Love them.

Sounds like a neat project. Thanks for telling us about it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, don't wrap them with duct tape. Just use them as is and don't worry about it. I've gone to donut shops and bought various sized buckets for $2 each. These are food grade as frosting and filling comes in them. I got lids too. I use them for everything. The square ones that came from the donut shop degraded the fastest and I only got 3 years out of them. Some of them that I use inside are still perfect. So stop worrying over buckets. They crack, they break, they get kicked, stuff happens. As you said, buckets are cheap, cheap enough to use and abuse and get some more!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have lots of questions, this is good. It shows that you care and want to learn, so ask whatever you need, we will be happy to help.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our best experience has been 5 years. We used them for bee feeders. I will post a pic when I get a chance to take one in the bee yard. Our worst experience was a week, when a handle broke from a new bucket transporting honey. Nothing like losing 5 gallons of honey in the driveway........the bees loved it but me, not so much...

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our best experience has been 5 years. We used them for bee feeders. I will post a pic when I get a chance to take one in the bee yard. Our worst experience was a week, when a handle broke from a new bucket transporting honey. Nothing like losing 5 gallons of honey in the driveway........the bees loved it but me, not so much...
Oh no! 😱

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score

That would hurt SO very much!!!! :oops::eek:o_O:th:ep:hit