6 mo. old kid not rebounding like others after deworming. Why?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, personally I would treat for cocci if I couldn't get a fecal done quickly. Tractor Supply carries CoRid, which kills cocci. Not the best choice med, but DiMethox I think can only be ordered online.

He will need also thiamine supplementation as CoRid is a thiamine inhibitor which can lead to goat polio... I think tractor supply carries fortified vitamin b complex which contains thiamine. Good for his immune system, too.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@babsbag is right tapes (generally) are not going to cause anemia.
I also agree the ivermec was an extremely high dose.

Not all wormers are created equal. If the goat has liver flukes, it needs to be treated with ivermectin plus, or another wormer labeled for such use.
X 2 what @Goat Whisperer said Flukes will cause anemia as they are bloodsuckers. Ivermec will not kill them off.

It takes time to repair the damage from parasites detaching. All those bleeding holes are trying to repair.

The vitamins and LOTS of probiotics are best.

As far as the Corid... giving thiamine is counterproductive. If he does not have cocci and you give the corid and he is so weakened he could very well end up with goat polio.

Personally I would not be giving any more meds (I don't mean probios, or vitamins) until a fecal is run.
This is going to wear him down. I would call every vet in the area and beg them to run a fecal. Explain what has been done and that there is no way to tell what to treat for WITHOUT a fecal.
Guessing is what some people have to do as an only option, when there are no goat vets around... I get it... it can also lead to over doing it.

You sure are in a hard place. :hugs You are doing all you can.
Yes, those electrolytes can grow bacteria in hours... so drenching is best.

Tapes are not a real big deal, they are just the parasites most commonly seen in a fecal. Sheep actually have a higher resistance to tapes and if I can find the article I will post it. I posted it here fairly recent.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with not treating for cocci...Monday is a long ways off and goats can be lost so quickly. Can you get DiMethox 40% injectable? I know you are in BC so not sure what kinds of drugs you can get.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with not treating for cocci...Monday is a long ways off and goats can be lost so quickly. Can you get DiMethox 40% injectable? I know you are in BC so not sure what kinds of drugs you can get.

It is more about the Corid- not the possible treatment. If he is weak then Corid has a higher probability of finishing him off by taking what small reserves he may have of the thiamine. This year all over the country I have seen this.

Most places it is in areas where there are no goat vets so the cattle vets or pet vets prescribe Corid. Goat kid after goat kid died of Goat Polio. Of course these kids were already in bad shape... emaciated, diarrhea, and not doing well. So the combination is probably more the cause than just one single thing.

Elsie_May_Huston

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our sick goat (Marlon) showed more energy today, he took a gentle head-swing at another kid that was going for his hay. And he is starting to call out more, which I haven't heard him do too much. I really think he is on the up and up *hope hope hope hope hope*. :) I'm watching his stool closely, and I think maybe it looked a tiny bit more solid this afternoon! (I'm way too excited about goat stool, but if he's getting better I can't help but be happy about poop!) Other kids are still passing out rice grain-sized worms as well, so maybe the medicine is still working?

The vet in town (not a livestock vet) will probably do the fecal test but his staff couldn't speak for him and didn't have a price for me so they had to wait to talk to him first. I also could have been wrong about the amount of ivermec given; he was given an amount for a 40lb kid, and he weighs about that much (I was told 5cc, but maybe I misunderstood).

Too many tapeworms would prevent weight gain, right?

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have used Sulmet for cocci. I get it at local del's tractor supply. Reasonable price.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad that he is doing a little better, hopefully he is on the mend. Hope the vet will do that fecal for you.

Latest posts