7 Month Old Spanish Doe Acting Drunk

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! As I mentioned before, I have sheep and not goats...but they seem to have quite a number of diseases and health problems that are the same. Glad none of others you have are showing signs of this!!!!

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Got word late last night that my Spanish doeling died of gastric torsion. Her rumen was flip flopped and twisted. This was how she met her demise. Just amazing how the symptoms mimicked listeriosis, enterotoxemia, and tetanus. No wonder the huge doses of PCN did not even make a difference and the toxoid also. No real way to prevent this either, just a freak occurrence. Such is the cycle of life! From the time you are born there's a battle between new cell genesis and old cells dying, eventually as time goes on, the battle of genesis succumbs to cell death and the whole organism ceases to live.
:idunno

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugsI didn't know that could even happen...thank you for posting the results, and again, so sorry this happened. Now you know that the rest of them have not contracted anything from her and that is a relief.

My Dad once had a horse that just up and died and it was from a twisted gut. Didn't know this could happen with rumens too.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I am shocked. I am also very sorry, poor girl.
How are you doing?
:hugs

Thanks for asking SBC and thanks for all your advice and concern also. Very comforting. I am fine. I guess as long as you raise livestock the law of averages says that no matter how good you provide for your animals some will just die. Such as the case here. I hate to lose any of my goats but especially my Koy Ranch Spaniards.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugsI didn't know that could even happen...thank you for posting the results, and again, so sorry this happened. Now you know that the rest of them have not contracted anything from her and that is a relief.

My Dad once had a horse that just up and died and it was from a twisted gut. Didn't know this could happen with rumens too.
Yeah, we raised Boxers growing up and our stud dog died from a left displaced abomasum (gastric torsion/ twisted gut).

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It was explained to me this way: a full rumen can act as a pendulum and if given the precise conditions, can move enough in just the right way to twist upon itself cutting off blood supply to it and thus causing it to die.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Well...I would never have thought that was what was going on. I guess it's just one of those freak things that can happen given the right circumstances. Thanks for keeping us posted. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well...I would never have thought that was what was going on. I guess it's just one of those freak things that can happen given the right circumstances. Thanks for keeping us posted. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.
Thanks Elevan. Everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving!:)

Latest posts