7 week old bottle baby with scours/fever

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all!

My seven-week old bottle baby developed scours over the weekend. I started her on CoRid Saturday and then was told I should be using Sulmet instead. Thoughts? I also started her on Kaolin Pectin Suspension. She continued to eat and act fairly normal Saturday. Took her bottle but didn't drink as much as usual. Still she was mostly her normal self other than scours. Sunday she was pretty lethargic by the afternoon and had a temp of 105.1. She was also sneezing and had some mucus from her nose - yellowish. Her eyes were rather lidded and not bright. She was not moving much at all...just standing there. I started her on electrolytes and she perked up a bit after getting those. I am also giving her B- Vits and tried the NutriDrench (she wasn't a fan!). Yesterday she was acting more her normal self, observed eating forage and hay. No sneezing, no mucus but still scouring. She did take about 5 oz of milk yesterday. Continues electrolytes, cleaned her up once again last night so I could see if she was still scouring this morning. She was clean this morning and observed urinating, which was a good sign. I also observed her eating hay, green forage, and some of her goat pellets. She refused her bottle though. I did she her drinking water from the bucket. She's brighter, her eyes are clear and alert, fur looks good, the color of eyelids is good, gums are pink. Her lungs sound clear (using a stethoscope) and there is no labored breathing. Her lungs sound clear (using a stethoscope) and there is no labored breathing. But she still has a temp of 104.9 and it has ranged from 104.4 to 104.9 since Sunday. I read some places that this isn't a fever yet other goat owners I know say this is worrisome. At any rate, I have a call into our local large animal vet (at a teaching university) because I don't want to take any chances given the respiratory symptoms she had.

Any thoughts?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
At this point, having her seen by a vet would be best!
Ask the vet to run a fecal and check for coccidia to see if that her issue
I'm not a huge fan of Corid-- but ask the vet what he/she thinks.

Pneumonia can take advantage when the goat is already down with other issues

A goat kid we cared for last year for a month or so developed pneumonia.(We co-owned the kid) Brought on by a cocci bloom. He was weaned, transported. Because of the sudden abrupt change of weaning and transport and them 3 weeks later castrated it just proved to be too much... a week later cocci bloom and pneumonia. This kid was on a cocci preventative.There was NO nasal discharge, NO coughing. He developed HIGH temp and could not stand. He was so weak and really on deaths door. He ended up having an immediate treatment of Nuflor and Banamine but still ended up on Penicillin at a pretty high dosage for a week. This kid was on deaths door... It is a miracle he lived.

NEVER give Nurti Drench when a goat has a fever! The sugar and molasses can cause the fever to spike even higher.

Has this kid had any abrupt diet changes? If she on replacer, goat milk, cow milk?

I would definitely consider the 104.4 temp a fever. Esp for your region.

Please keep us updated on the lil girl!

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No abrupt diet changes. THere was stress from A move to the new shed and pen. She's on cow milk.

Good to know about the nutridrench. I haven't given her anymore. Still waiting on ca from vet.

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can't seem to get in to see any vets in the area. Waiting on call backs. Temp is 104.4 this afternoon. Just got a call and the vet will call me back as soon as she has a cel signal. Life in the country!

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update: she was still running a fever when I checked it this afternoon after being at work for a little while. So I called and was able to get around up at the vets office. She has pneumonia... which is what I kind of suspected. She's being treated with antibiotics, banamine, and the vet said to continue the electrolytes and finish the 5 day regime of CoRid.

I think she's going to be fine. Thanks for the input!

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Couldn't be one but told me I could bring one in later, particularly if I saw no improvement.

She's taken two bottles since coming home and her temp is down to 102.4.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad that she is doing better. Anything over 103 in any of my goats I consider a fever unless they are a black goat on a hot day laying in the sun. But even then they will get rechecked when they are out of the sun. A kid not taking a bottle and running a temp screams pneumonia to me so glad you took her in. Hope she continues to improve.