7 week old bottle baby with scours/fever

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Glad that she is doing better. Anything over 103 in any of my goats I consider a fever unless they are a black goat on a hot day laying in the sun. But even then they will get rechecked when they are out of the sun. A kid not taking a bottle and running a temp screams pneumonia to me so glad you took her in. Hope she continues to improve.

Although I'm new to the goat world that was my thought as well. I knew I had to get her in when the temp wasn't dropping and she continued to refuse the bottle. She continues to do well this morning. Her temp was down to 101.2 and I'll continue with Meloxicam every other day through Sunday. She was out and about with her penmate munching on leaves this morning. Both of them were standing there looking at me when I left for work as if to say "but mom, you are one of the herd and need to stay with us!" No, I don't have spoiled goats. :rolleyes:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just curious, what antibiotics did the vet give you? She seems to be responding quickly, which is great. I always start with OTC Duramycin (Oxytetracycline) and have never had to resort to the "big guns".:fl I started doing a pneumonia vaccine on all my does and I haven't seen pneumonia in my kids since. But of course that is kids that I raise, ones bought elsewhere usually aren't vaccinated until I get them.

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yea, between that and the Banamine we are grateful!

IMG_2054.JPG

"Thanks for helping me feel better, mama!"

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Didn't see the last replies! Southern...are you asking about her lineage?

Well, she's scouring again after pooping berries over the weekend. So I've collected a small sample and have a call into the vet. I'd like to have a fecal done just to be sure it's coccidia. She's eating fine and acting fine. It was liquid last night but more of a paste consistency this morning. No fever this time yet. Boy am I being christened into the goat world!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Didn't see the last replies! Southern...are you asking about her lineage?

Well, she's scouring again after pooping berries over the weekend. So I've collected a small sample and have a call into the vet. I'd like to have a fecal done just to be sure it's coccidia. She's eating fine and acting fine. It was liquid last night but more of a paste consistency this morning. No fever this time yet. Boy am I being christened into the goat world!

Yes, lineage. She is a pretty thing!!

A good coccidia prevention is best. You also may want to consider medicated feed for her.

There are many different products for coccidia prevention and treatment.
We prefer Toltrazuril- it is "Baycox" and off label like all other cocci prevention products for goats.
Not all vets know goats and it can be hard finding one in some regions. I'd check with your vet and see what they generally recommend.

We just gave our bucklings this am prevention and this afternoon we will do the doelings. :)

My heart is LAMANCHA! I am always happy to see a new munchie face!

Latest posts