8wk old alpines want to eat horse pellets?

plumleyfrm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello,
I have 3 werthers 7-8 wks old. They are eating hay and I have had a medicated goat feed available (from Farm & Fleet) they have not been eating the grain. Have changed grain dish, refreshed grain daily and feed does not smell 'off'.
Yesterday I was giving my mare grain (safe choice) and one of the kids got his nose near the grain and wanted some. This is the first interest they have shown. Would it be safe to give some of the feed to the kids or should I wait until my days off and buy another bag of new goat grain?
Really would like to begin slowly weaning these guys.

Pic because, well, they are adorable!
goat pic.JPG

Thank you!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cute boys! I'm not much help on the feed question... I'd check the ingredient list and compare the two feeds. The goat feed should have something to prevent cocci and maybe even have ammonium chloride which is good to help prevent urinary stones.

I bet you those are three spoiled guys!

plumleyfrm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Compared the ingredients, they are very similar with the exception of the phos-calcium ratio. They don't need the medicated right now they have been dosed for cocci, but will probably need for future permanent feed. Anyone with thoughts please share.

On the other note, Thank you, I think they are adorable too! They are the three stooges. Think we will have fun building things for them to play on. They are a blast to watch and follow us when we walk the dogs. Did not expect to have this much fun with goats :)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
The calcium/phosphorus ratio is one of the most important things! Especially for wethers. What is the ratio in the horse feed?

If their feed is medicated, I believe it is very bad for horses. I'm not sure if they are housed together, and you may already know that, just wanted to put it out there in case you don't!

They're adorable, btw. Aren't goats great??