*911* Scottish Highland pregnant heifer, heavy breathing, lots of snot

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just got home from work and went out to comb the cows, and could hear Bridit (2 year old heifer, due to calve end of Oct.) breathing from several feet away.

She's up, alert, grazing a bit, but had the tip of her tongue sticking out and breathing heavy. I combed and watched for a bit, sides were heaving near spine as she breathed, and her nose seems full of mucous, mostly watery. She also has some slime in her mouth, looks like she had been chewing her cud. They are eating nice timothy hay but do have pasture access and eat a lot of apples and leaves.

I'm hoping she just inhaled some water from the trough before I got home, but I'm nervous!

Any insight would be most helpful. Currently she's up, grazing around, etc.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
DH just gave them a fresh bale, and both girls are eating well. Bridgit does appear to have some blood-tinged mucus/drainage from her left nostril, really faint but she keeps licking it off. DH can't tell as he's colorblind, and it's very faint to me.

I'm going to just keep my eye on her. But if her symptoms raise red flags for anyone, please let me know what you think and what we should do...open to suggestions here!

Thanks!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If sounds like pneumonia to me. If you can listen to her lungs by putting your ear next to her rib cage or using a stethoscope, if you have one. If it sounds raspy definately pneumonia and she needs to be treated. Tylan (I believe it's 100) and LA 200 are good. LA has the benefit of a one time shot so it's good for cattle on pasture, like Bridit. If she doesn't show improvement in a couple days call the vet. We had a small heifer last year that didn't respond to the first couple of treatments. She ended up with bloat after the pneumonia-will happen with severe cases. Then it's really rough going.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I went out this morning with a flash light to check on both girls in the pasture. Both were chewing their cud, laying down, but Bridgit got up when I came over (it was really dark, I probably had her nervous).

Her breathing sounded a little quieter this morning, and she's standing normally (not humped up or anything), but a good sized glob of yellowish-tinged clear mucus came out of her right nostril, followed by a string out of the left. She did spend about 30 minutes eating fresh hay last night, so her feed doesn't seem off, but I'm still unsure.

I went over and checked Sheila, too, and she had some clear mucus around her right nostril. Is pneumonia contagious? They haven't had any stress, haven't been hauled or anything...it's been pretty hot this week and very cool in the evenings/overnight (up to mid-80s during the day, mid-40s at night)...could that cause it? There is a black Angus in a neighboring field that they could get somewhat close to if they all congregate at the corner of the fences at the same time. I just don't know what to think.

Kitty, are these meds things I can get at the feed store, or only from a vet?

My DH thinks I watch the cows too closely.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The discolored mucus concerns me. I would treat her for pneumonia. Her breathing may have been quiter due to the cooler temps. Yes, weather can play a big factor in them getting pneumonia and I would keep an eye on Shelia.

Yes, you can get the meds at a farm supply or feed store. They are over the counter. ;)

As for watching them to closely-You're doing just fine. It's best to keep watch and catch things early than leave them to get worse. People in the farm industry think I'm crazy when I say I can tell a cow with milk fever before she gets to the going down point. It just takes observation and the earlier you can catch them the better. Keep up the good work.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes you can get tylan 100 an LA200 from the feedstores.is it hot where you are.if so the breathing hard could be caused by heat stress.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
yes you can get tylan 100 an LA200 from the feedstores.is it hot where you are.if so the breathing hard could be caused by heat stress.
But not the discolored mucus. Mid 80's shouldn't bother that bad either.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
since your new to cows an learning.i really think you need to have the vet out to look at your cow.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Gads...the only vet left who might be available for a farm visit (because we don't have a trailer to haul her in, nor can we get one on short notice) is the guy we had come out to preg check our girls...and he was such an a$$.

My heart is in my throat having to call him...never in my life has someone talked to me the way he did...both my DH and I felt so small and stupid in his presence.

Blech. :(

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Treat her for pnuemonia and see how it goes. I really feel that is what it is.

If you have to call him back out then don't put up with crap! If he is not the owner of the clinic I would also put in a complaint.