*911* Scottish Highland pregnant heifer, heavy breathing, lots of snot

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, Kitty.

I actually just sucked it up and called him...and he was very kind and helpful. (Maybe he was just having a bad day last month.)

He wants me to check on her this afternoon and see if she's eating, and if not, he'll come out and administer antibiotics. I feel better.

He is a one-man mobile-only vet, so he is his own boss. He's not the vet we want long term...the guy we want is a very kind, well-known vet two towns away, but unfortunately he's hard to get (office is closed on Thursdays, of course, and they were closed for a week when we preg checked). Maybe this guy will turn out to be ok for emergencies and back up, though.

Thanks for your help!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that they can have pneumonia and eat just like nothing is wrong. We had calves last summer do that. Believe me when I say I don't want that hot, still air again!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Kitty. The vet actually asked me to call him with an update when I get home, whether she's eating or not. I will ask him about the pneumonia risk then.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm happy to report Bridgit seems to have gotten over whatever little bug she had. I left work early Friday (I live 60 miles from work) so I could check on her and still get the vet out if needed, and she was up, grazing in the pasture with Sheila and while a little bit of yellow mucus fell out of her left nostril, her breathing sounded normal. I called the vet back with the update and he felt she would get over it on her own. Sure enough, she has!

Thanks, everyone for your encouragement and support. I still have SO much to learn!