A couple questions

AHandfulOfGoats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, I just have a couple questions.

I am currently looking for hay to last my goats this winter. I found someone near me that has a mix (clover, timothy, orchard, fescue and alfalfa) for 3$/bale. My only concern is about the fescue in it, they say it's only about 20-25% fescue. Would that be okay? I hear fescue is a no-no.

Also, are acorns toxic?? We have a couple of oak in our pasture and all the acorns are starting to fall. I've caught my goats chewing on acorns a few times.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If your goats are well fed and don't gorge themselves on acorns then generally they are ok
My goats have access to acorns but don't eat too many and are ok
As to fescue hay there are certain strains of drought resistant fescue like Kentucky Tall 31 that have an endophite fungus that is suspected of causing miscarriage in horses and goats
My goats have been fed a fescue Orchard grass blend since March but none are pregnant
Where are you located ?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goats feast on acorns. I collect them and toss them in the field like candy. They are fine. I would let them eat what they find, but I would never feed them to them in a feeder. All things in moderation.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is said by some that acorns are toxic to livestock, and they are in least to humans unless you soak out the tannin first. you don't want animals gorging like one fine acer said. when they start falling the animals will get a little every day. I turn the girls in to a different pasture every three days or so to let them clean them up. If I don't their will be so many acorns that when I put them in to the new pasture they would have so many on the ground they could gorge. I researched the issue one time. Its pretty much believed that through tannin is how the jacob sheep got its spots. It is said it has been proven in our day and time.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have no shortage of live oak all around us and our goats devour them. In fact, they eat them all thru the winter. They have never had a problem with them and get plenty of other forage along with them. We have had them for over 2yrs now and are heading into their third winter here with us. If you watch them you'll see that they are very selective with them and can tell if they are good or bad by the smell and feel of them in their mouth, and will spit them out rather quickly. Depending on your location, there will be green forage available thru winter....at least, here there is...honeysuckle, privot, and cedar just to name a few....we sow rye grass each fall in order to have enough browse for them.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have no brouse for the girls. they have cleared all the brush and bramble I had. their is only grass now unless I close off a pasture or two. which I rotate every year to let the bahia reseed itself. They love the dog fennel and other weeds that grow. I feed hay and lick tubs free choice in the winter and usually by december i'm feeding some grain and grazing the winter grass i plant. It is funny how the sheep and goats know which acorns are rotten.