A Crop Page

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have made a "Crop Page". It's along the same line as the Breed Page but, crops instead!

Please take a look and make suggestions. Different parts of the country have different crops. Please keep it stuff limited to raising cattle. We don't need peanuts, cotton, etc. I think you get the idea.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
well i know i can't help ya. i'm still learning how to use program! i having a blast since you told me how!!!!happy , happy , happy!!!!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
m.holloway said:
well i know i can't help ya. i'm still learning how to use program! i having a blast since you told me how!!!!happy , happy , happy!!!!
I'd have to add it on (my "my page" so you are unable to access it) but, if you have any suggestions I can look into it!

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sounds good. i'll keep that in mind. but of course you should know that by now!!!

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Please keep it stuff limited to raising cattle. We don't need peanuts, cotton, etc. I think you get the idea.
why not? peanut hay is actually a staple in the south. cows around here are wintered on primarily peanut hay and bermuda. theyve even developed perennial peanuts specifically for hay production. also a lot of people feed cotton gin trash and cottonseed. you will find cottonseed in a lot of cattlefeed. i'm getting ready to turn cows in to glean the cotton fields and peanut fields right now before i plant them in winter annuals.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
DUH! We feed cotton seed-most definately wasn't thinking on that one!

As for the peanut hay and cotton gin trash, I didn't realize that the plants were feed to cattle so, they would fit and I will add them when I get a chance.

Thank you for the addtions and setting me straight. It's the difference in areas of the country.

Beefy or anyone else down that way! How do the peanut and cotton ones look? Is the cotton plant good or should I put a pic of a cotton field?

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i think the cottonfield would be better since normally the cattle only eat the cotton byproducts and when they graze on the stubble they mostly just consume the bolls and stuff that wasnt harvested and not the actual leafy and stemmy parts of the plant. granted they will eat leaves if they are present but cotton is normally defoliated before its picked or loses the leaves from frost before they get to it.

you may find this article informative.
http://www.angusjournal.com/ArticlePDF/0203aj_GotCotton.pdf

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Interesting! I have changed the pic to the cotton field. There was another hay mentioned in the article and I will see if I can find a pic and put it on-maybe a day or two.