A different type of crowding area

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
There's some folks out there who say it's the bee's knees and is better to work cattle in than a crowd tub. See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aniUeugrm8Y and Here too.

I don't know the difference as I've never really worked with either, but admittedly I have worked in a similar "layout" in the past. This thing I'm talking about is the "new" Bud Box, which is just a rectangular corral (probably like 12' x 16' or 20') that is positioned so that the race or working chute is at the corner of this "box." Folks on another forum were saying that this system is marketed for $6K, but I really don't see how someone could be foolish enough to pay that much for just a few panels and gates set up as a block and a way to work cattle into the chute.

Heck I don't even know how it would work with nutty cows or bulls. I suppose there'd have to be a man-gate or a space somewhere in this set up that a body could escape through, just like with any holding or working pen. But really, a sweep or crowd tub is a bit better in that sense since you're keeping a solid gate and rounded fence between you and the cow or bull that's out to skin your hide. And too, what about cattle in the opposite end of the spectrum? How can this system be used if you've got a few animals that literally have no flight zone whatsoever?? Again, I believe the crowd tub and gate is best with this because it makes the animals move instead of you having to actually lead them into the race. :rolleyes:

This bud box would work great for newbies who are just learning the actual handling and working part of cattle, not just pushing a few gates around. Also good for those who've got a few bucks to spend and (as quoted by another member who had a comment on this) who don't know how to weld.

Thoughts?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Really, I don't see the difference except the handler is doing much more work, and is in danger of being trampled or pushed into a gate. The tub system is better, IMO, since the cattle have a solid gate pushing them, not just a guy with a hot shot. Plus, he's only putting a few cattle in at a time. Notice how the cattle are moving in a circular direction though? Same with a tub. IMO, stick with the tub design and keep yourself out of danger by being able to push a solid gate and not have to be right in with the cattle.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did not watch the videos above, and have never personally worked in anything other than a more traditional pen with a crowding gate, but I have seen these box pens used.

The difference is, that the solid panel box gives the stock a bit of time to both settle down and become a bit disoriented in regards to which direction they just came from, which is always a plus. Cattle may not always know where the chutes lead, but they generally know where they just came from and will choose where they were, over the unknown every time-- if they can.

I've seen some pens with loading chutes that were solid panels too, and once the animal is crowded into them, with the only visual they have is the opening into the trailer makes that a no brainer too--much more likely to load easy than when they can see a possible way off to the left and right.

But, me and a big mean bull in one of those boxes? Uh uhh--not ol greybeard. Nice gentle docile animals up to 2 years at market weight maybe, but those big older ones eat hotshots like you would a mosquito bite. Even a distraught momma cow can give ya run for your money and i can't run much anymore. For anyone not seeing the videos or in person, here's the layout.

http://beefmagazine.com/site-files/...s/archive/beefmagazine.com/images/bud-box.jpg

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Greybeard and Aggie, my thoughts exactly. It's much safer to be behind a gate that can ratchet shut quickly on you than be behind no gate at all. The box system won't even work on really docile, pet animals that need to be led instead of pushed.