A few questions from a new guy

Myke

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all, I just found this site and haven't searched a whole lot, so please forgive me for asking questions that have probably already been covered. First, I read that a buck and 2 does can produce between 120 and 150 pounds of meat per year, is that true? Second, does anyone know if it's legal to raise rabbits in Colorado Springs? I did a search on the web but couldn't find anything on rabbits, just chickens. Also,I've hunted cottontails and I like the gamey taste, but my wife and kids didn't much care for it. I read in a book that domestic rabbit is all white meat and tastes better than wild cottontail. Has anyone eaten both that can confirm or deny that? And finally, for this post anyway, how did you go about convincing your significant other that raising rabbits and chickens in the back yard makes sense? My wife is worried about the smell, worried about eating a cute little bunny rabbit, worried about the neighbors, thinks it will cost too much and on, and on........... Thanks for any questions you can answer or advice.
Myke

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have not had cottontail, but domestic rabbit tastes like sweet chicken. Fabulously yummy! Not at all gamey.

A doe should produce around 10 kits per litter. Gestation is 30 days. A doe can be bred the day she kindles. A doe is *capable* of producing 12 litters per year. I have never met someone who breeds that hard!

So you *can* get 240 kits per year. Grow each out to 6 pounds and you've got 2 does, 1 buck producing 1,440 pounds of meat in a year.

That's the maximum, you will never get more than that! It doesn't allow for breedings that don't "take," miscarriage, culling day old kits for unshowable characteristics. It doesn't account for giving the does a break so that they can maintain a healthy body condition.

I have never bred more than once every-other month (per doe). I was also culling her litters from 11 - 12 down to 6 - less stress on her body.

Breeding hard can cause pastuerella carriers fo have symptoms - and pastuerella is highly contagious. The treatment for it is expensive and makes the meat inedible. The disease makes the meat inedible. You don't want to go down this road.

The number you have would be breeding 2 does 2 times per year. Yes, absolutely feasible. So is more.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So far as table quality goes it's purely a matter of taste. Cottontails can be very good, depending on what they have been eating but snowshoes? Well what can I say? There is no better meat anywhere for me.
Domestic rabbit can be very good but the meat is very mild tasting so it mostly depends on what spices you use and how it is cooked. It makes an excellent low fat chili and the French have developed many recipes for it. Hasenpheffer is also excellent. With the possible exception of free range chickens there is no other animal that gives you more meat per pound of feed that can be kept in a suburban back yard.

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I love rabbit legs roasted. Sprinkle a bit of Lawry's on top. I always end up making fajitas with the loin - which is a shame, but the easiest thing for me.

Basically take any recipe for cut up chicken and use it. :)

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:frow
Depending on your average, very well managed meat breeding program and breed, a couple of does can produce double+ that amount.

I've hunted and eaten plenty of wild rabbits for over 30 years and there's no way to compare the 2 flavors in my book. Day and night difference. Domestic rabbit meat that's processed as fryers is mild, sweet, tender, all white, and not at all the same flavor as wild rabbit, and not at all gamey tasting. It does not taste like chicken to me although it's very similar to chicken in the sense that it's a mellow blank canvas to flavor as desired.

Rabbits are quiet and take little space to raise and process. Neighbors would not know they're being raised unless the fact is advertised.

Store purchased rabbit meat goes for a very low end of $8 per pound to $12 per pound here. Maybe consider cooking your spouse a dinner using a wonderful recipe with store purchased to see how it goes. Give it a few tries. Hopefully you can cook for her and not expect her to cook an unfamiliar meat that she's not even sure of. Some people will come around with time to raising their own food, others won't, even though rabbit has the lowest feed/meat ratio while being the healthiest of any meat.

Good luck!

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Rabbits are not smelly, as long as you clean up after them. Their waste is useful so clean up seems to have more "point" to it.
I'm raising ducks and chicken for meat as well and rabbits are by far the easiest to care for.

KrystalMarie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
150# seems a pretty conservative number should be fine. I prsonally wouldnt breed more agressivly than that. You need to give the doe time to wean the kitts and gain her health back for a couple weeks before kindling again. Rabbit meat is IMO better than chicken it will absorb the flavors of the spices that you use better than chicken. I also prefer butchuring rabbits to chickens, for me it is quicker and cleaner. Dont worry about those cute little ears you cannot eat them anyway LOL. It took me 10 Yrs to convince my wife to get chickens, But now she acts like it was her idea. We have had rabbits for several years but are just starting into meat rabbits. I have butchered twice and it gets easier and faster everytime, there really is not much of a learning curve to it. Go for it I say.

collector

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
KrystalMarie said:
150# seems a pretty conservative number should be fine. I prsonally wouldnt breed more agressivly than that. You need to give the doe time to wean the kitts and gain her health back for a couple weeks before kindling again. Rabbit meat is IMO better than chicken it will absorb the flavors of the spices that you use better than chicken. I also prefer butchuring rabbits to chickens, for me it is quicker and cleaner. Dont worry about those cute little ears you cannot eat them anyway LOL. It took me 10 Yrs to convince my wife to get chickens, But now she acts like it was her idea. We have had rabbits for several years but are just starting into meat rabbits. I have butchered twice and it gets easier and faster everytime, there really is not much of a learning curve to it. Go for it I say.
OOOPS I was logged in on my daughters acount and did not realize it untill it was to late.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I also live in Colorado Springs, and you are correct that the city laws don't say anything about rabbits. Which means - there's no law against it! Just be reasonable, and don't exceed the nuisance laws - keep any noise, odor, and unsightliness away from the neighbors' senses. And there are laws affecting how/if you can sell animals from your property (and how many, how often, etc), but if you are raising them for your own consumption then those don't apply.

I have a buck and four (soon to be five) does. I keep them in individual hutches inside my over-large chicken run.

The chickens are really, really easy to care for. They don't smell, they make a little noise but not much, and they produce edibles every day. I'd recommend a small flock of chickens to almost anybody.

The rabbits aren't so easy. They are silent animals, but the droppings DO smell, because I don't have a good sanitation system set up yet. The droppings fall to the ground and the chickens scatter them around. The urine soaks the straw on the ground and keeps the droppings damp. I have to muck out the chicken run because of the rabbits. But I need the rabbits inside the run because the run is predator-proof, and of course there are raccoons and all sorts of predators in COS. You either predator-proof a chicken coop, chicken run, rabbit hutches, etc - or you don't have animals anymore.

Of course once the droppings, urine, and wet straw are in the compost pile, they stop smelling and start breaking down. A good compost pile is probably a necessity for in-city rabbit raising.

One thing I did before getting rabbits with the intention of breeding was to buy a couple young meat rabbits and process them all the way through. From live animal to dinner main course. I had to know I could do it, I had to know it wasn't overly time-consuming, and I had to know that I liked the taste! If you do that, you might have less concern about convincing anyone, because either they're OK with the process and taste or they aren't.

Same thing with chickens - I bought two meat chickens and went through the whole processing experience wtih them, too. From live animal to dinner dish. For the same reasons. Chickens can get a variety of things wrong with them and I needed to be sure I could put one out of its misery, too. The chickens I have now are exclusively for eggs (at least until they get too old), but the knowledge is still important.

As far as rabbits being "all white meat" - that depends on your definition of white meat. For one thing, it's dark. At least my rabbits are becasue they have plenty of room to run around and develop their muscles. But on the other hand, it has less fat than meats typically called "red meat" - the fat content is more in line with "white meat" - and in some cases there is less fat than even most white meats. So that's a definition thing.

I feel like I'm rambling, but I hope this information helps!

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DianeS is right about the poo mess. The smelly part is the urine! In a compost pile, the urine drains and you can get a steaming hot compost pile going! (Wood chips or straw will dramatically slow it down)

I haad cages with plastic trays below. I wash them every day in summer. I also live in a neighborhood.

Our next door neighbor stopped over and complained when we got back from vacation. Petsitter didn't clean out trays for a week! I scrubbed everything down and the neighbor was happy.