A friend for my horse..

Hobbyfarms

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello! New to this site, not to animals or horses.. I have had my horse since she was a yearling (she's now 21 years old) and her Equine pasture mate whom she grew up with died 2 years ago now. She is not the same mare and I know she needs a friend. The dogs I have do not really notice her and the cat refuses to befriend her, though my horse has tried. I have a lot going on right now, (fixing up my house, working, etc) but I wanted to get opinions about mini donkeys and ponies.. I do not want a mini horse, but a small horse (14 hands or smaller). My horse is 15 hands and a Belgian/QH/Paint and I know everyone should be the same size, but I just cannot accommodate a horse as large as her right now... So what would be best? I have never owned a pony or mini donkey, I am kinda against goats (never owned one) but I have 16 acres and I am not going to re-fence it all to keep a goat in lol. Also I know donkeys are very protective of other herd animals and will stomp and kill dogs and cats.. so that's why I was more interested in a mini donkey then full size because my dogs do run loose on the farm and my cats are all loose also, being barn cats FYI.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
A mini donkey will chase, stomp and Kill with the best of them. Some won't care, others are after even a rabbit. Mini horses don't know they are small. 🤫 A lot less to feed and handle. They do come in sizes in the 9-12 hand range. You may be amazed to find one to fill the bill. Look for one in teens, matured mare or gelding.

You are right, she's been mourning her friend. I've actually had them do this in a major way, other herd members help but, not the same. Sometimes people don't realize how intense a bond can be. Glad you are trying to help. :)

Hobbyfarms

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I feel terrible for her. The first year was the worst and I would go out with her to the pasture, keeping her on a lead because she would look and call out for her Equine buddy and I didn't want her to run through the fence or hurt herself. Horses do grieve and its terribly sad to watch. I am able to get her something of a friend and I want to do that. I didn't realize even mini donkeys would do still try to kill dogs, my mini dachshund and the cats are my concern.. I will look into this more. Thank you for your time and response! :)

Hobbyfarms

Herd lurker
Reaction score
If I got a pony it would be a "tall pony" lol, 14-12 hands.. nothing too itty bitty, and something still able to be ridden. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ponies can get too fat, just on pasture, thus the need for a muzzle or to dry lot then.
I think you are on the right track with a smaller size horse. Your poor mare is lonely and grieving for her friend.

Pinewood Ridge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had the same problem when my 35 yr old mare died, and my retired gelding kept looking and calling for her. They had been together for 20+ years. I told my vet I was looking for a small companion for him. She introduced me to a woman who did horse rescue. I adopted a mini-horse from her that came from an abusive situation. It has worked out well--he and my gelding are velcro'd together. And he's entertaining!

I also have 2 mini-donkeys. They've been rooming with the goats for several years, but I want to move them up with the horses when we get all our pasture fencing re-done. We'll see how that goes.

The most important thing is to get something that is used to being out with horses. They will still establish a pecking order, but hopefully not be totally terrified. I did have 2 little rescue Quarter Horses that I adopted out, about 14 hands. I just recommended the website, rescueme.org in a different thread.

Latest posts