A full farm on 15 acers or less

RamblingCowgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That what we are doing, my fiance and I. I'm not sure just how much land his dad gave us, it's mostly fenced, has a pond & garden plot, and thick with trees save for the 2-3 acers of grass. I think it's around 11-15 all together. We have a three goats, all does one is bred for march kidding. And we have a tiro of rabbits, but they mite be too old to breed or eat. This year is going to be a big one for us, we'll get geese, chickens & guineas, as well as more goats and rabbits. In the mix of that we are building our little house. This will be my first time to have a garden. And we are getting merried this fall. It is all very very exciting.
We want to add sheep, hogs, and at some point {maybe after getting more land} cattle. I want to focus on rare breeds, like cotton patch geese, navjo-churro sheep, silver fox rabbits. He doesn't care so long as we have meat, they are easy to handle, and I'm happy. Lol.
We also have horses, and 7+ dogs.

Does anyone else run a full range of stock on a smaller holding?

ETA: I'd like to meet other like minded people in NE Oklahome/NW Arkansas

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
No .. I just have 2 Nigerian goats in my backyard !!! :welcome I am sure you'll enjoy this site FULL of info !!! :weee

RamblingCowgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks! I've been off & on BYC for years - under the name that_crazy_lady so I'm betting I'm gonna love it here :D

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
RamblingCowgirl said:
Thanks! I've been off & on BYC for years - under the name that_crazy_lady so I'm betting I'm gonna love it here :D
You will !!! ;) I know that as soon as you join you just can't help it; you'll love it !!! I thought when I joined I'd just check out things and get A to my Q...
Boy, I was wrong !!! I just love this site!!! :lol:

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
And you'll also need to start a journal ... We need to get to know you !!!!
See pics of you animals, hear stories, every thing !!! :lol:

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We currently just have meat chickens but we will soon also have turkeys, beef steers, dairy (and maybe meat) goats, our egg-layers, and horses. Our place is 7.5 acres of usable pasture.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
:welcome
I live in CE Arkansas but travel all over the state to get my goats. The last place I went was up by Eureka Springs. If you are looking for bred goats I have some one you can call for some. Check out my journal I pics post of my zoo. BTW I live on a place that is 3/4 of an acre.

Arkantex

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think/hope it can be done. We own 10 acres and are trying to start a small, family farm on it. Given, I eventually want to buy the 50 acres that are behind my 10... We will see how productive we can make this 10 first though.

I grew up in Arkansas and so did my wife. Every time we go visit family, I fantisize more and more about moving back, buying some land, and starting up a farm...

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, it can be done, and easily with today's feeds, supplements, fertilizers, etc but you need to learn all you can about forages and feed for the species you intend to raise. Bear in mind, it hasn't been all that long ago, that the great preponderance of American farms were small family farms 10-100 acres and they were pretty much self sufficient. It's only in very recent decades, that the move to large corporate farms took their place, and that's really a shame. I have one pasture fenced and crossfenced, and containing about 15 acres, and 2 years ago, ran about 20 cows/calves on it for most of the year, but we got plenty of rain that year. This last year, that same herd would have starved due to drought. Luckily, that wasn't my total acrage in pasture. You can always feed or make the soil what you need it to be, but one thing you cannot do is be without water. Educate yourself in all aspects of the species you intend to populate with and plan plan plan.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Sounds like a busy year for you guys
We have chickens (layers & meat), ducks, pigs, sheep, and cattle. Then there is the 2 horses (hay munchers lol) all on 28 acres + we rent a further 30 and have access to hay fields. A yard full of 1960s tractors and machinery. We have a farm store selling all our produce so life is fun but lots of hard work
Good luck and enjoy your farm