A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Make reindeer faces! You need brown, red and white construction paper.

Trace both child's hands and 1 foot (easier if they have a shoe on)

Cut them out. The heel of the shoe is where the reindeer nose goes, cut out a round red nose and glue it. The hands are the reindeer antlers, place at the top (toe of the shoe) with thumbs inwards, glue them on. Cut ovals from the white paper and draw in eyes, glue them on. I still have the ones my kids made when they were little, I covered them front and back in clear contact paper.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to get a freeze on monday so I went ahead and arvested the bananas from one tree it still has a few more and I have anoter banana tree I have to wrap to protect from the freeze because it just started to make bananas. I am so thrilled with our harvest. I oing to be.covering the garden as well to keep it thriving.

Attachments

• 20201126_170400_001.jpg
    20201126_170400_001.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 132

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, bananas! I'm giving you the Golden Green Thumb award for that!

My mom grew bananas in her "tropical" garden when I was little. They were the small ones, fingerlings kinda. My sis and I would sit at our tiny kid table and eat them with a miniature loaf of bread mom made just for us.
Tiny tea time, lol.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, bananas! I'm giving you the Golden Green Thumb award for that!

My mom grew bananas in her "tropical" garden when I was little. They were the small ones, fingerlings kinda. My sis and I would sit at our tiny kid table and eat them with a miniature loaf of bread mom made just for us.
Tiny tea time, lol.
What a wonderful memory!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
everyone is hanging on to their babies brats dont want to share. going to rebreed two rabbit does as they didnt take. hopefully they will soon. one doe (rabbit) made a nest and watching her carefully. Two goat does are bagging up and are getting ready going to be setting up my birthing pen for them today or tomorrow and moving them in and training for milking. one pig due this month will see how much longer she teases me she has had milk forever now and has been swollen vulva for a long while. will shall see who goes first. Cant wait. need to clean the house and do some outside chores so far looks like my garden did okay some damage but not alot but i be moving some plants back outside and covering them if needed but so far doesnt look like we going to get a nother freeze for awhile. So much to do lol. as always. going to be baking some time this week and i really want to reorganize the house but will see if that will happen. need to make a few more presents and i am done for this year. anyways nothing really to talk about that abnormal i will be posting pictures as soon as babies hit the ground. oh i be looking for Ai bull for Little Lady and if you have knowledge on it i would love help on this.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go online and google AI for cattle in Tx. There are different AI companies....might be a tech in your area. I am most familiar with Select Sires/ Select Sire Power. Call your vet and see if they do it, or know someone who does. Any good sized farms in your area that have purebred cattle? Often someone who has purebred cattle does some breeding AI and you could offer to pay them to come and breed your heifer..... Semen will cost $25-50, and then the service which will be about the same if they don't have to travel too far. Try the extension service, they might know of someone who does breeding. I do a little breeding on the side..... but it requires that the breeder have a semen/nitrogen tank, and the equipment, and they can get semen that you want to use. So you have to work with a private farmer as opposed to a "certified breeder" having more choices available in their tank since they will be called to breed different cattle at different times/days.... so they need to have a bigger selection available.
How old is the heifer now? You don't want to breed her too young or you will stunt her growth. And breed her so that she will calve to suit your temps, and things like dealing with fly season etc.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I ll keep looking at it. Might not.get to keep her. Dh is concerned about being able to afford her and all the other animals at this point along with moving. We see what happens. So far he wants to look at saling or having her processed. Neither are a popular ideal.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I ll keep looking at it. Might not.get to keep her. Dh is concerned about being able to afford her and all the other animals at this point along with moving. We see what happens. So far he wants to look at saling or having her processed. Neither are a popular ideal.
Temporary cow share? If someone houses her for x amount of time they get her first calf? Or some deal like that? I don’t know if it would work where you live, but some cities have plots of unused land (there’d be like three acres at an intersection near me if my city would allow it) that they just pay to get mowed. Sometimes the city will work with you, if you keep the land “mowed” or grazed they don’t have to pay someone and you have free food aside from temp fencing costs.