A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get that they aren't fertile til after 6-8 months, but the testicles have to be "out there" in order for them to be fertile. I'm not trying to scare you, I just have never seen or heard of them not having any signs of them. If they are too hot, it will affect the fertility.... that is why sometimes our bulls don't get cows bred in the hottest part of the summer, and they will extend the sacks way down low to help to keep the air moving around them to help cool them. Sheep, goats, even horses will have the testicles "drop" down further away from the heat of the body when it is very hot out. Natures' way to cool them off.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan Before I forget again to ask couldn't i also cure the how i myself as if it's a belly? And I check but i end up having to pick him up for a good long look. He so dam small maybe I missed them.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The testicles will be in the back, not far below the tail and the "butt hole". They don't carry them underneath hanging from a sack like bulls, or rams, or billy goats. The gilts will have a little slit below the butt hole, not hard to tell..... but the boar will have 2 little ( figuratively speaking ) bumps next to each other. Side by side. I get that they are a little more "hairy" than commercial type hogs.... but if you look at him from the back.... the 2 nuts will be below the butt hole and about level with where the 2 hams separate from the body to form his two legs. Believe me, they will be noticeable if he has any. A "barrow" is a male that the 2 nuts have been removed and it is smooth all the way down below the butt. If he is 8 months, he should have a pair that you can see as they should be developed enough to be very noticeable.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a duroc male before so i know what to look for but it's one reason i thinking he was wrong on the age i looked but most of the time he a distance away. I look in the morning and see if I can tell. I know he male no vuvla but wether he fixed or not haven't seen the gentle men said he was a boar i believe intact came up in the messaging but i could be wrong. I be mad if he fixed considering i made it clear i wanted a intacted male. On more then one occasion.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are attached to the back end of the hog.... think like they are like oblongish eggs, stuck on to his lower butt. Skin covers them but they stick out. Kinda like the face masks you see, it puffs out in the middle part.... well these are sorta like that puffy look.... like you cupped your hand against your leg and there was a dough ball in the cupped part of your hand.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed post. Had a real BAD storm here last night, and internet was in and mostly out.

Since you had a male before you know what to look for. Didn't mean to imply otherwise, but did meet someone years ago that thought they should be hanging down like a his sheep ram.
Maybe all that hair on them is "hiding them" :hide :hu:lol:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/Foundation...Nit6Jm6SHCzvAzWniDG_KpuRZnFlFMA&__tn__=<<,P-R
American Kunekune Pig Registry - Where Pork Is Preservation

February 5, 2016 · Jurupa Valley, CA ·
Public

v_MQ4bBP4g8.png

Questions on BOAR CASTRATION? This is a really nice video on how to do castration the old school way. This is just ONE way to get this done. Kunekune Pigs don't always follow the "rules" and can be more difficult to castrate than other breeds. Often their testicles are descended in the first week or two, but later cannot be located. Breeders report that some testicles are not apparent until eight to twelve months of age. It is common for many Kunekune boars to carry the testicles close to the body until much later in life. This can make castration more challenging. Note: Kunekune breeders in the UK do not always castrate boars and most often harvest by ten months of age. Contact AKPR with your questions.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you @frustratedearthmother for the reference. As I said, I didn't know about that breed or if there were differences from the common commercial hog breeds here. That is really interesting. I thought perhaps with the increased amount of hair that it would make them harder to find too.
Obviously they do not have the same problems with the heat as do most of the larger breeds of hogs. Fertility can be a real problem with some breeds in the hotter weather because they cannot keep the testes cool enough to produce viable sperm.
So again, thank you as I learned something very interesting.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry @farmerjan if i sound upset i wasn't at all i was cranky through so that probably came out in my message to you. Nothing to do with what you said. We were extremely late getting home our trailer had a blow out on the way home ( fault tire was not over loaded ) we already left my parents house late and I was looking at getting home after dark and I was concerned about the goats that were in the field because even through one side is pred. Proof the other isn't and I was concerned because we have lots of coyoties around. Then the blow out and all four kids in the truck and off and on the three youngest(most the baby and 2yr) were crying. The 7yr was sleeping on my lap and the floor board was loaded with stuff so i was already uncomfortable. Fun seeing my family but the ride was not fun lol but I hate long car rides to began with. Yeah when we got our duroc boar he was my first pig and I told my husband clearly he male. Lol and thanks frustatem. I did see that article just odd. I still would feel better seeing something over not seeing any thing. I need to build these guys their own pen they take up egg stealing only duck eggs but still i like my duck eggs.