A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wasn't upset and I just didn't want you to think that I thought you were dumb about the male hog anatomy. Sorry for the tire trouble and the late home arrival. Kids just don't adapt all that well to those sort of "hiccups" in their life. And I sure do understand the concern about the goats...
Hope that this weekend will start a few less stressful days.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay so update miss priss (the black female we got left from the first group) is huge expecially compared to the kune kunes and she also hit a growth spurt. I have to get yall a picture in awhile. I got less milk then normal from panda i am trying to figure out i think it was the stress. We see this morning (11am been milking at 8am) i got a bit more so i dont know. Anyways trying to get the house and yard cleaned up. We getting more rain. Also the kune kunes have start getting named the boar is Gruff(from tinker belly and the neverbeast) a female is duff the oldest female my dd1 wants to make Sally we see lol. The other two so far no names. One has a single tassel and the rest of the females do not have any. The boar has two tassels. We gonna keep them till October and decide which to keep from there possibly longer who knows. So far one will clinb in my lap not to thrilled about that but whatever(that would be duff)

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay might have a minute to finish my post(rocking 2yr old) any ways i been working with pigs to get them use to us. Three are hand shy working on getting them to let us handle them. So far the male is the favorite and the one little female is as well the kids love gruff. However my ds2 who is 2yr old freaks out if the pigs muddy and it comes near him he runs screaming like the muddy pig is a mud monster who wants to get him it's funny. The pigs seem to enjoy running around its fun to watch them. They do dig some but really no where near that of large breeds. When we had durocs we had to have them in a 40ft by 40ft pen and change their pens regularly to keep it from being mud. These guys mostly graze i seen them for a hand ful of times and mostly where the ground is soft and muddy. I know most pigs are food motivated but these guys are food crazed motivated i mean seriously climb all over you and they don't seem to notice anything when there food invovled. The other pigs weren't nearly as excited by food. I also noticed they are extremely vocal as well. Gruff does a sort of grumble and duff does a grumble and high pitch squeel when she see use and even more so if you dont let her or give her a snack. They are getting round already lol. I need to go get piglet feed for them to help the grow. And does anyone know what to worm about a 30lb pig with?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay yall will understand this excitement. But I got the call from the butcher he confirmed that they were potbelly pigs. He said they looked beautiful He said they were obviously well feed hehe. One weighed 47lbs, one weighed 45lbs(both were smaller then miss priss wasn't expecting much). Anyways we getting pork chops, ribs, roast, hams, bacon(belly and jowls) , sausage and ground pork back along with all the bones. I might be over excited bout this but woohoo its going to be great getting that meat back. I told him I have a nother almost ready. Dh is thinking of breeding her to kunekune boar but that won't happen for a while he to small to hit the mark. So yeah we see lol. Now I need to clean and organize the freezer and get it ready for all that meat moohaha.

Last edited:

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
He charging 1.25lb per dressed weight pick up is 2 miles from us. So it's not horrible but not as good as the original quotes i got from another place but the shut down outside processing they are focusing on their own animals. The original was .45lb but that was undressed and 45 minute drive. It's not the cheapest but they needed to go and it was one of the only options we had. We see how it turns out. Plus at least we only getting 92lbs of meat and bones back i might be able to find room for in the deep freeze for that compared to what the biggest estmate i had for their weight. Now the last of those three out weighed those two. I haven't decide what to do with her yet. I am not going to process her anytime soon so thinking of breeding her to the boar as soon as he able then raising her piglets for meat and saling all the kunekune piglets we get maybe. We see what happens.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Proof pigs like belly rubs

Attachments

• 20200602_141205.jpg
    20200602_141205.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 249

Latest posts