A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really like the Carminat pole beans. They are purple podded which is helpful for me when picking. I always seem to miss a bunch when I grow the green ones. What I like is that even when they get a little mature they are still tender, and they're very productive. They turn green when cooked. Haven't noticed any strange texture.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't mean to inject into your "situation" there, but only wish to give ya some "food for thought" and relate my experience in a similar situation.
When we lost everything after the 1st heart attack and my foot injury, we moved back to my parents house on 20acres and eventually got a mobile home put on their property to live in....granted we were a bit older and only had 1 daughter at home...she was 16-17....and Mom and Dad were in their 80s....they wouldn't allow us to do .uch of anything on Their property, mainly because they were concerned about my health....so, I was able to help Mom in the garden and go fishing to the pond with her...Dad never wanted or needed my help and he was very difficult for others to get along with him...he was a very negative person....I couldn't even mow the grass to his satisfaction, but it was just fine for him to bushog what we called our yard...and only a strip or 2 at that....because a man cut the field for hay, he had cows....Dad didn't want to "cut him short" on the number of rolls from his fields....it wasn't until the hayman stopped cutting and Mom passed in '12 that I could cut more and it wasn't until '15 that I was told I had permission to do other things....this was only because his health and age didn't allow him to do things anymore....we took care of Mom thru her cancer and Dad until 2yrs before he passed....there were several times we found him waundering around outside, lost in his own driveway and couldn't find his house...or havin' fallen down in a field and couldn't get up....eventhough things were difficult, I'd never wish to have changed anything and, in fact, I still say Thanks to The Father for the 1st heart attack and foot injury that sent me back to care for them....it is your DH's parents and not yours, but ya are 1 in His eyes and there is a reason for ya to be there....search for that reason and be content with the present....otherwise things will not get better for ya.
I didn't recount this to pull at your "heart strings", but to explain that in a seemingly "bad situation" there is reason and purpose...sometimes it takes yrs to see it, but ya will...if ya look hard enough.... :thumbsup

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually his dad live on property as well and these are his parents so it's actually my husband's grandparents and they are older but grandpa is in his 80 and still does pretty much everything as does grandma. Neither have wanted really any help. But their daughter also lives with them. It would be different if there wasn't anyone here for them but there is they just aren't here 24/7 and neither is dh only i am with the 4 kids and they don't normally i say normally because there been once or twice the cows have gotten out where i have helped herd them bacj in. I don't mind staying but the back in forth drives me nuts. I just want a house i don't feel like I constant have to check for smoke or other issues. A few weeks ago I could have sworn I smelled smoke but couldn't find it. I even put up new smoke detectors that day because i was concerned. Dh is only normally home in the evenings and sometimes not even then. So he not really aware of everything because either the kids are awake or dh is a sleep or gone before we have a chance to talk. I pretty much tend to everything here. I can count on him for very few things not because he doesn't want to help but because he isnt here. My only other probably complaint beside the safety of this house is the storage. I am constantly battling to keep things out of reach of the kids because there are no actual place to put anything. I been slowly getting rid of everything i can to help with that. The kids are all in one room again the boys were sharing the top bunk and lucy on the bottom bunk. Hoping to clean out the middle room and move things in there for a temporary solution. It's maddening trying to find things around here I put the up they take them out. Okay tat rants over now i could say more but pointless as only God knows if or when it will change. I more frustrated with the constantly flip flopping and the negativity that his family gives both of us more often the later that makes me want to run the former doesnt help matters. I don't think it's ok to air every thing here but there alot behind the scenes more then what i have shared. I prefer not to go into it.
Anyways barely made the feed store. Got crimped corn which is the streamed rolled corn bay talked about. Switching feeds and also found to seperate panda from kids and from calf. And she gping to be mad but oh well they gonna be bred and she isn't so might as well wean them and get everyone use to it. Plus she the only one stella won't mess with so she can graze in the yard with oy

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Out issues three pigs do as well and until i finish auctioning off the two acres thats what will have to work also thinking of building a permant location for a bunny yard and moving their houses near the garden for easier cleaning will see there always alot to do. Today I probably won't get to the garden as it looks like we gonna get rain and there is alot to do inside the house yet again one day. Oh and dh lost his normal glasses so trying to find those.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I boiled them with bacon for a good while i thought closer to 30+ minutes min.
And you could actually find bean shape things in the pot when you were done? Amazing.
DD2 will eat ONLY uncooked green beans. DD1 won't touch one under any circumstance and DW wants them cooked. But cooked means they still have some crispness to them, not cooked to mush.

My kids would probably love those that change colors lol i could see it now
@thistlebloom is correct about the purple beans, they are way easier to find among the green leaves! Kind of disappointing that they lose the purple when they are cooked. Lately I've been growing Fortex green beans. They need support as the plants will grow to 7' or more. The beans are long but the seeds not as large as many other green beans. Pretty thin at 7" and still good when they are nearly a foot long.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mmm so many choices and yeah we could lol the kids like them like the can green beans you buy at the store. Personally I could eat the raw or just barely cook.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Harvested the mountain corn today and rolled the area nest i be replanting some sweet corn there and fertilizing it with the rabbit manure and maybe plant some pumpkin there or somewhere else have decided yet.