A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like what may be going on with your squash is blossom end rot. It's caused by a shortage of calcium, or at least the calcium present in your soil is not available to your plants to take up.
You can make homemade foliar calcium sprays with eggshells (takes a while for them to break down enough to use) or you can use milk if you have extra, diluted 50/50 with water. Water around the base of the plants. If you use any foliar sprays do it before the sun hits the plants. I don't know the dilution for a milk foliar spray but it should be easy to find.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The stems on the plants looks like squash vine borer..... they will destroy a plant; in 2 days it will go from looking fine, to falling over wilted. Not the fungus/rot on the actual squashes.... that is different. Go though if the leaves are ll big and really shading it, and break off every 3rd or 4th leaf so there is more air/sun/drying around the plants. And what @thistlebloom says. Maybe you need to do a soil test? The calcium could be "bound up" and not available like she said.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I might turn to something drastic eventually but honestly the squash and zucchini are only for the baby and me lol no one else lijes it so not a huge loss but i prefer not losing it. My family is very vegetable picky. The kids only eat a few things such as potatoes, Carrots, greenbeans, corn and one likes broccoli and another one likes beets but that's their veggies of choice. They did try the zucchini but they didn't like it. And the canterloupe they tried only one really liked it the boys not so much. I have to really get my root veggie garden up and running. I still will grow things they don't like because i like them and dh is picky like the kids. They can deal with it lol. Oh before if forget i finally started seeing the change in panda since she gotten the new feed her milk production its back up. She had dropped to a quart to a quart and a half. Now back up to two quarts. She seems happier as well. She weaned the kids for the most part so i am leaving them together during the day for now. I need to figure out how to not breed her but keep her happy. I had tried to seperate her but she would stop eating and milk production suffered greatly she went from a quart jar to half a quart jar or less so i put her back with them. I might end up breeding her again this year since we don't have the best set up yet to seperate the buck or her from the herd. Oh and little lady is being a pain she taken up head butting more i am about ready to turn her to steak. She has me concerned for the human kids sake. She might settle down with age but i tend to also think it might kick up more with age. I do have the option to turn her loss with grandparents herd but prefer not to as then she will default back to being theirs in that since. I also debate about leaving her in the pasture but i know she would need a buddy. And shelter and I don't have that ready either. Lots if desions to be made. Also right now not much extra money for those projects. Dh has slowed some mostly because of the truck having issues he currently using my truck as he calls it for work while he fixes his. Be right back.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there are any trees for some shade, I wouldn't worry about a shelter.... it isn't like you are going to get a snowstorm down there where you might want her to be able to get out of it.....If she had a buddy, she would be more likely to do her pushing with them.... and if she had a buddy, (i'm assuming you mean another cow) the first time, she butted you, you take and wallop her nose so she doesn't think pushing you is acceptable.....And yes, they usually will tone it down with age.... it is somewhat a "childhood" thing..... especially if you are trying to stop her now so she doesn't get really rank which I think you are.
One thing to consider, she will "transport" to a new place a whole lot easier, packaged and frozen in the freezer.....

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is very true. She does play with the goats with me it's more in attempt get something but their are times were she does it as a challenge or play which gets old when she gets me good every once in awhile I learned hitting her unless I get it just right it doesn't do much but if i use my feet that changes it. I tried other methods and she seems to trust me greatly every new thing I bring her she accepts it with very little hesitation .

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thinking of using these fabrics for dh's quilt. 20200703_110917.jpg

Attachments

• 0362909.jpg
    0362909.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 0375560.jpg
    0375560.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 0375567.jpg
    0375567.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 0278296.jpg
    0278296.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 0680918.jpg
    0680918.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 269

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
First we need rain. Second i am going to probably go buy hay tomorrow as we had a large portion of a oat tree fall on the electrical fence that runs in front of dh grandparents house were they have been letting also graze the goats and cow. I also thinking of killing my pigs right now the brats stole my melon.... they broke in my garden.... anyways outside the melon they didn't do any damage we are in stage one drought. So i am going to watch how much I water very closely and try to use as little as possible. The incubator sucks out of all my eggs only two hatched. I am not thrilled so saving for a new one asap. Also have lots of house project and sewing and school and the list keeps on trucking. Anyways need to feed baby again get her down and dinner started later gators.