A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First we need rain. Second i am going to probably go buy hay tomorrow as we had a large portion of a oat tree fall on the electrical fence that runs in front of dh grandparents house were they have been letting also graze the goats and cow. I also thinking of killing my pigs right now the brats stole my melon.... they broke in my garden.... anyways outside the melon they didn't do any damage we are in stage one drought. So i am going to watch how much I water very closely and try to use as little as possible. The incubator sucks out of all my eggs only two hatched. I am not thrilled so saving for a new one asap. Also have lots of house project and sewing and school and the list keeps on trucking. Anyways need to feed baby again get her down and dinner started later gators.
I feel your pain on the incubator, i want to throw mine out the window. Idk about Texas but California is almost always in a drought. Havent heard much about it this year because of the Covid stuff :idunno but we ALWAYS need more rain. it wont rain til october/november at the earliest though. Good for you for trying to conserve water around here alot of ppl dont listen.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We see what happens my kids have a bad habit of leaving the well water on and we do run it for them pigs and some times the garden on certian day to water that but not often as my garden is some what raise and it just doesn't have the power to push it up.
We had another death this morning. One of the young rabbits. Not sure when it died but probably from the heat. They get frozen bottles and fan today and every day after until summer goes. I decided skinned it and go ahead and feed the cat and dog it since one unknown cause and two it was about 1lb live weight so nothing really. Anyway I am going to try to tan the hide using salt and egg i let yall know how that goes. But you salt it and let it sit for 2days then flesh it and rinse salt off then you use only the yolk rub that in leave it for two days then was the yolk off and it's done after it dries off.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay so finished the quilt
I did not want to use binding this time.

Attachments

• 20200710_184510.jpg
    20200710_184510.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 20200710_184854.jpg
    20200710_184854.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 20200710_184842.jpg
    20200710_184842.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 252

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
So we had surpise today. Our oldest female who happens to be three gave birth to five kits. Two of which died wither still born or because she gave birth with no nesting box in her defense my fault for one not giving her a box well i also didnt expect her to be pregnant since its so dang hot.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
My drill is charging so i processed a drake he now chilling in the fridge. I trying to find away to preserve his feather so i can us them for stuffing and other crafts. Anyone know how to?

Attachments

• 20200711_161147.jpg
    20200711_161147.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 252

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I kept reading you needed so treat ten for more and germs act. Most look like it was for one or two feathers. My taxidermy buddy said if they dirty wash them in soap water in bucket shake and rinse then lay on towel in towel to dry some them put in box and cut hole big enough for hair drier and fluff them

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
All yesterday and this morning were not fun. Found two of the three kits dead the third I couldn't find. So i don't know maybe I missed it and its in the hay way back there unknown. Also the five chicks all died. I thinking hear it's been getting extremely hot i been trying to keep everyone cool but who knows. Between having seven humans kids to take care of and all the animals i might have missed something however i do know both the chicks and rabbits had water and the rabbits had frozen bottles and a fan on them non stop. Oh well it happens i just frustrated. Anyways i have a brood chicken hen and a duck hen. Both should hatch some out for me. I know the chicken eggs were set on 6/29 but i don't know about the duck eggs. The Duck is a safe pen for her babies the chicken hen i have to move once all her eggs hatch. Life gotten nuts. No piglets yet but she had time
She eating again so maybe she wasn't hungry who knows. Anyways i need to run het a shower get kids dress house clean and school done. And apparently they hungry they just finished eating ahhhh.