A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay well update they found a tumor in my grandfather brain similar to my nephews. Now they plan to do a operation at some point. The blood pressure issue is due to age they say. So the going blind part not due to the blood pressure but the tumor.

On other news. I am looking more into raw milk consumption. And looking at expanding me abilities both in baking and cheese making and also canning and possibly fermenting. Grant not all at once but as a goal to get to master each. Now I been baking for awhile i just need to get that on a schedule to keep us with bread and other goodies all the time. Canning will be new for me but have to wait for a canner. The fermenting some veggies might happen first as i already have all that. Also other methods of preserving as i move more and more away fro grocery stores. I have gotten so much better a sewing so i feel comfortable to make clothing and other things. I feel like I can add something new to learn. I am trying to go slow but that seems to be the hardest thing for me as i just want to dive in. Been going through cloths and scaling back on what's out also been looking for any clothes with holes and moving them to the scrap basket. Looking a scaling down toys as well. I am taking on more with the company again and need to change things to make the house run better.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you buy a pressure canner, get an All American. It’s the ONLY one still made in America. I have one, I can double stack pints in it, I love it. I named it The Beast. The Beast is thick heavy machined aluminum. Right now I have 11 pints of green beans in it. Get one, it will last you all your life.

For a dehydrator, get a 9 tray Excalibur with the solid sheets too. I make fruit roll ups with zucchini and a can of frozen Welches grape juice. Grands love them.

If you get into grinding your own flour and cornmeal, take a look at the Family Grain Mill. I have one and I enjoy it. You can buy whole wheat berries and make your own flour.

I love the way that feral pigs come walking up, offering themselves up for slaughter. You must have a magic pig call.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
i will look into the dehydrator and the mill sounds neat i had thought to use an attachment for my kitchen aid mixer. but i will check that out as well. and i have been looking at the all american lol.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay well update they found a tumor in my grandfather brain similar to my nephews. Now they plan to do a operation at some point. The blood pressure issue is due to age they say. So the going blind part not due to the blood pressure but the tumor.
I'm glad they looked further rather than just throwing up their hands. A boy in our old neighborhood had the same thing about 15 years ago when he was probably 12 or 13. Of course at that age the doctors don't stop looking when someone starts going blind. They did the operation to remove the tumor that was pressing on his optic nerve and et voila he could see again. He was fine last time I saw him about 7 years ago. I hope things go well for your grandfather.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
i got a surprise gift from my mother in law. Glass milk jars four one quart and two half gallons and a pout spout for those like my dh who can't pour from mason jars. Thses are so cool. Pasturizing milk for them right now. I am still on the fence about raw milk. I know my kids still foam as i milking from the raw milk but i havent decided yet the kids say they prefer the raw.

Attachments

• 1596746808166129872671.jpg
    1596746808166129872671.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 15967468245055256492.jpg
    15967468245055256492.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 255

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are some real nice milk bottles. Nice of your MIL to get them for you. On the pasteurizing.......those are your kids. All it takes is one time, one drop of contamination for them to get sick. If it were my kids, I would pasteurize.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
One words banks!!! My head hurts. First both dh and I have the app for our bank we use one log in. Which was originally set up on his phone i deposited a check from mine and that made them disable the online banking for us. But I set up another log in .... explain why it is a problem for me to make a deposit from a different device but it's not a problem if i make another log in for my account. Either way transferring things to another bank.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please, you cannot tell me anything about banks and their STUPIDITY and aggravations..... if you have been following my "JOURNEY" with buying this house.... and every time you turn around they want something else.....GRRRR. I feel for you....

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well my seeds are staying in their packages this year. I don't have time right now and honestly dh goal is to move by then end of the year. If that happens i really dont want to plant and leave my hard work behind. So going to wait till I can actually make the garden work and care for it. Not in the plans for this year. Also going to start processing birds. Debating on how many of the geese are going currently have seven. Our oldest gander has learned to open the gate on my porch i am not impressed. They scare my two year old and I don't want to hear the blood murder scream he makes when he just sees them. So either they get sold or eaten. I need to process roosters. And get ready to get some of the pigs processed. I also need to work on the house and get everything at a level that is easier to keep up and in case we move i need to have things orderly to pack.