A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello all, I a mother of three. My oldest (my daughter)will be five come March 29, my second( my son) child is 2 and my newest addition (son) is five days old. We have a small herd of three goats, two does Lilly and Daisy, and our buck Buck lol( my husband named him because he looked like a deer). Lilly has finally kidded she gave birth the same day I did the best lol. She won't feed her kid but she take care of him otherwise, she also kicks while being milked with a milk machine however she some what ok with hand milking unless something is under her to catch the milk. Daisy due sometime in june- early July. We also have rabbits two does might add two more one for and one buck still debating. We also have three breeding geese(3 others will be processed), 24chickens(4 meat birds waiting to be processed), four ducks (3hens, one Drake), 3 turkey hens (waiting to get a Tom). We also have fish and two cats. My daughter loves the ducks, my two year old loves the geese which try to hiss at everyone but him its funny how terrified the gander is of him he won't even his in his direction just runs all Joshua does is chase him lol. I am hoping to get my garden started soon once I able. I can't wait to have most of my groceries out the back door lol. We trying to buy some land as well after that I am looking at cows, sheep, pigs,and bees I might be farm obsessed lol. I homeschooling our oldest Lucy, and will the other two as well as you can guess I am a stay at home mom. I also like baking lol. I try to stay busy.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Following :D

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I might need to take a class in taking it easy... I am not good at it lol. My husband has new father leave through work he gets four weeks of paid leave. Well he took one full week he then (started today) works Monday and Tuesday then has the rest of the week off. So far since he been gone I have cleaned most of the house swept, vacuumed, done dishes, cleaned up the toys, done laundry(still have to fold/hang yay..) I am going to mop shortly. I also started spring cleaning I been cleaning my kitchen cabinets today I finish possibly tomorrow. I also feed all the animals, milked the goat (about to go out and milk again), pasteurize some of the milk already, collected eggs. I am pretty sure my Dr would be furious with me lol. I am tired but same time restless I can't stand taking it easy. I have so far resisted my garden which involves using pick axe(thanks to all the clay) to get the weeds out then add some new dirt and then I can plant I almost had it done... Grr and all this rain I am so late on planting. Oh I forgot we have some new addition that have hatched five ducklings so far and nine chicks I have more eggs due to hatch. Chicken eggs on the 19th duck eggs on the 27th and geese eggs can hatch from the 27-april3rd. Lol my husband might decide I cant be left alone after today lol oh well I feel better the house is clean.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to have ya aboard!!....sounds like ya have quite a bit on your plate there....but, then again I was young at one time, too. I was wondering what breed of duck ya have?
We have 12 ducks....10hens and 2drakes....Rouens and Khaki Campbelss.....they are a real hoot!.....feel free to post some pics of ya are willing to share....cause if ya hang around ya will surely see plenty that others are sharing.....
Again.....:welcome

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Three are roun cambell mixes I had a cambell drake oringnally and roun hens they were killed by one of our dogs at the time I saved some of the eggs from their nest which are three of our ducks now and one is a perkin mixed with something. The hens I have this time are kinda funny they tend to climb into the chicken coop up ramps and across beams to go to the nesting boxes that are four foot off the ground to lay their eggs.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't see why not its just sausage wrapped in a bread. I make a version for my husband using little smokies and croissants
That, is a pig-in-a-blanket, Klobansik or klobasniky.

This, is a Kolache, and every Texan should know that, almost from birth.
(all native Texans do)
http://texashillcountry.com/wp-content/uploads/Kolache-in-car-Rs-680x390.jpg

This is some kind of impersonation of a Kolache, an usurper of the term, an abomination, straight from the pits of hades...a hot dog by any other name is still a hot dog..
http://texashillcountry.com/wp-content/uploads/Klobasniky-rs-680x390.jpg

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/kolache/

Ingredients
Dough
  • 1 package active dry yeast (¼-ounce/7 grams/2¼ teaspoons), 1¾ teaspoons instant yeast, or 1 cake fresh yeast (0.6-ounce/18 grams)
  • 1 cup warm milk (105 to 115°F for dry yeast; 80 to 85°F for fresh yeast)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, or ¼ cup butter and ¼ cup shortening (1 stick/4 ounces/120 grams)
  • 2 large eggs (6 tablespoons/3.5 ounces/100 grams)
  • 6 tbsp granulated sugar (3 ounces/80 grams)
  • 1 tsp table salt
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest and/or ½ teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg (optional)
  • 4 cups unbleached all-purpose or bread flour (17 ounces/500 grams)
Egg Wash
  • 1 large egg (beaten)
  • 1 tsp cream, milk, or water
Cheese Topping
  • 16 oz farmer cheese or cream cheese, softened (455 grams OR 10 ounces (285 grams) farmer cheese and 6 ounces (170 grams) softened cream cheese)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar or more to taste (3.5 ounces/100 grams)
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (optional)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (OR 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, or ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg)
Poppy Seed Topping
  • 2 cups poppy seeds
  • 1 cup milk or water (8.5 ounces/240 grams)
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (10.5 ounces/300 grams)
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice or 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest (optional)
Prune Topping
  • 1 lb pitted prunes, or 8 ounces pitted prunes and 8 dried pitted cherries (455 grams/about 36 medium/3 cups)
  • 2 cups water (17 ounces/485 grams)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (3.5 ounces/100 grams)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice or prune juice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves (optional)
Apricot Topping
  • 2 cups dried apricots (12 ounces/340 grams)
  • 1 cup orange juice (or 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice) (8.5 ounces/240 grams)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar, light brown sugar, or honey (3.5 ounces/100 grams)
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice or dark rum
Blueberry Topping
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar (80 mL)
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch (45 mL)
  • Pinch salt
  • Pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 2 cups blueberries (about 10 ounces/285 grams)
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice (30 mL)
Cherry Filling
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (3.5 ounces/100 grams/120 ml)
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch (1.25 ounces/35 grams)
  • 1 1/4 cups reserved cherry juice (300 mL)
  • 28 oz pitted sour cherries (800 grams/4 cups)
Posipka (optional)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces/200 grams)
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (2.125 ounces/60 grams)
  • 1-1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted (½ stick/2 ounces/60 grams)

Last edited:

Latest posts