A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never had thin crisp ginger cookies before they sound good. Roast beef is always a hit here well for most of us.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Enjoy!

Gingersnap Thin Cookies

Prep time: 15 minutesCook time: 10 minutesFreezing time: 12 hoursYield: Makes 6 to 8 dozen cookies

INGREDIENTS
8 oz unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 small eggs or 1 1/2 large eggs
1/3 cup molasses
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

METHOD
1 Beat butter, add sugar, add vanilla, eggs, add molasses: Beat the butter until soft; add sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, and beat until fluffy. Add molasses and beat until well-mixed.

2 Whisk together dry ingredients: Vigorously whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, finely ground black pepper) in a bowl.

3 Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients: Add flour mixture to the
butter/sugar/egg mixture, 1/3 at a time. Mix only until the dry ingredients become incorporated.

4 Press into lined loaf pan, freeze: Line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with plastic wrap, so that some hangs over the outsides. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan. Pack it tightly, and try to make the top as level as possible. Cover the dough with the plastic overhangs. Freeze until very firm, preferably overnight.

5 Thinly slice from frozen dough: Unwrap and remove dough from the pan. Slice brick into thin slices, no more than 1/8".

6 Bake: Working in batches, place thin slices on a parchment or a Silpat-lined sheet pan (space at least an inch apart) and bake at 350°F until the edges turn dark brown, 7-12 minutes, depending on how thinly you have sliced the dough. Check the oven for doneness at 7 minutes.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sweet i love new recipes, i let you know when we try them if I remember but we all know what my memory is like

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol true but my kids are weird and aren't really found of sweets. They didn't like the apple pie even through it was really good. One doesn't like chocolate chip cookies, another doesn't like pies at all. There two deserts they can agree on and that's brownies and ice cream. Cake is one of those things they some times like and other times they don't. We can have one batch of cookies (3dozen) and they hang around for two weeks or until i feel the need to throw them out because i am nervous about keeping them. Not because i tell them no but because they hardly ever want them. I don't have any complaints from dh about any of it or any place he worked they he taken goodies to or anyone else we given them to. So i know it's not the food its my kids.... They weird and spoiled they prefer eating at home over eating out my dd1 always tells us the the food she got isn't as good as the food i cook. We pretty much given up going out to any resturant because they won't eat anything on the menus because of the fact they prefer my cooking apparebtly that much. My mom and dad come up and offer to take us out and dd1 will complain and why when mommy makes the best food. Personally I think they like torturing me with endless dishes lol.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a great compliment from your kids.... but the not liking sweets much is interesting. I always loved my mom's cooking, but the desserts were pretty darn wonderful too!!!!!
The good thing, they obviously are not that hooked on sweets and sugar.... that's great.
Tell them that once in a while that it is nice for mommy to not have to cook and do all the dishes afterwards.... and that you like to just try something else that you don't cook at home.... Your DD1 might get it then.... sometimes you do something that you don't always want to, just so that someone else gets a chance for something different. It's not like they have to do it every other day.... or else find a sitter and just go out with your parents without the kids....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
While they still think you are the greatest chef worldwide, quick! Teach them your cooking secrets! Then you can eat at the restaurant at your house and not have to cook!