A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cleaning, laundry organizing, homeschool, catch a rooster and lock his butt in with the meat birds or just chop his head off and process him.... not sure which i feel up to. He can stop eating the fuirt and veg of of the garden most everyone else goes for bugs not him. Dh is at work so between kids, dog and me we should be able to grab him. I see rooster dinner ahead. Anyways need to get ribs in crock pot and get cheese grated for dinner for mac and cheese. Getting tomatoes but not enough to can at once seo will feeeze and can when have enough. Might also start a garden jounal to figure out how many plants of each we need so when we get our own place i'll know.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay well didnt get to the rooster yesterday. Dh needed our help to trim some tree branches that were hitting his trailer unloaded. Was looking out at the garden and there he is trying to teach two hens to eat the produce... he gonna go. Also eggs have been going missing. One hen i know is eating them but not sure which it is yet sp far she only eats one so not sure whats up with that. But the other day instead of collects close to 24 my dd1 only found four eggs. So thinking snake which means i am back to collecting out of caution until we find out whats happening. Gonna spray foe squash bugs and caterpillars this evening. Need my plants to produce. Also need to plant some more which means dh has build a new coop this weekend and kids and i will attach 2x4 to the cattle pannel to keep them in front paddock with the pigs.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay this day is being dramatic. One of the young heifers looks like our heifers twin is in labor and the calf is stuck and dead. She still pushing have a vet coming at six maybe. Depends if they still needed at that point. There are two feet now and a nose. Calf is slightly on its side. Dh wont be home till late so not helpful there. His grandparents have someone they know coming out and if they can get the calf out great if not boo. Will probably set up a pen for her and bring our heifer up as company and lock them both together to keep an eye on her incase we can get the calf out... also stray dog was harrasing her ran off if it comes back its going to be shot. I dont know if this heifer is ours to or not thats been up in air. If the vet makes it out here. Poor girl looks misserable. His grandma talking about getting out of cattle anfd seperating everything out we see.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay this day is being dramatic. One of the young heifers looks like our heifers twin is in labor and the calf is stuck and dead. She still pushing have a vet coming at six maybe. Depends if they still needed at that point. There are two feet now and a nose. Calf is slightly on its side. Dh wont be home till late so not helpful there. His grandparents have someone they know coming out and if they can get the calf out great if not boo. Will probably set up a pen for her and bring our heifer up as company and lock them both together to keep an eye on her incase we can get the calf out... also stray dog was harrasing her ran off if it comes back its going to be shot. I dont know if this heifer is ours to or not thats been up in air. If the vet makes it out here. Poor girl looks misserable. His grandma talking about getting out of cattle anfd seperating everything out we see.
If the calf gets pulled and the cow is ok, do you have a contact for a bottle calf or fresh calf you could graft onto the cow? Poor thing. :hugs

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any updates?
I cannot offer any suggestions since you are expecting, and your DH is not there.... the sooner the heifer's problems were seen to the better. If she quits pushing, and the longer they wait, then she will get dry and the pull will be that much harder. She should be given oxytocin to get the contractions going again, and the calf needs to be pulled asap..... by someone who knows what to do and to get it wiggled around to try to get it to pass easier...

If this heifer has been running out loose, you are not in any position to try to graft a calf on her. She will not be calm enough to work with, if you haven't been handling her, and with your condition, you are not in any position to be messing around with her. Since she is young, it would be better for her to dry up so she can grow more... and hopefully breed back, to calve at a better age.
Sadly, you know that the family talks all the time about "doing something" ... and everytime you get your hopes up they change their minds. You really are right to want out and find something else.... Unless it is in black and white, written right in front of you and notarized and recorded, then there is no guarantee they will hold to anything they talk about doing. It is too much stress on you at this time in your life.

Last edited:

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay well they got the calf out. I am glad i wasnt there for it they did in a way i being me see a cruel for the heifers sake. They tied her to a truck abd tied the calf to a different truck and pulled and wiggled the calf. They gave her anitbiotics and called it good. I offered to put her in the paddock so she would be safe and would be able to heal eith out dogs, coyotes or bulls but that was declined. Dh says its their animal and he right he also says there a difference in his opipion of farms and rancher. Farmers care for every animal and rancher who care for the majority... i dont know almost everyone i talk to cares for each but lets just say their animal husbandry is nothing to be happy about. Dh said they have never seperated the young heifers from the bull just make me mad and sad for the animals.

Latest posts