A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_20180914_091222.jpg Farm news
Things are slow nothing really new there expect the ducks like to lay eggs in the chicken nesting boxes which happen to be four feet off the ground and they have to walk up a ramp the across 2x4 to get to the boxes lol. We also expecting alot of rain so I really need to finish getting the housing bedding down only problem is that all my hay for bedding is unfortunately wet. So I probably end up buying some pine shavings we had alot of rain already. I need to go get feed anyhow. I am really hoping Daisy(one of my does) is pregnant last season she didn't take. She always been on the skinny side she now really fat looking lol I am going its not all rumen.
Home news
Last week Joshua was sick he all better now, he got to be back on his sleep schedule. He naps when he is sick but when he not nap tends to stay up till midnight. Josiah been eating (breastfeeding) pretty nons stop on top of eating actual food he acts like he starving boys eat alot. He huge he in size two tee and his big brothers 5t doesn't look that big on him either. Lucy good she had a sassy attitude lately outsidr of that and the fact we fell be hide on school nothing else is all that new. Oh Charlie (my husband) had a job interview for a management position at his work waiting to hear back on that if he gets it most likely he be on night shift. So that will be interesting we will have to adjust to that but he says even if it is nights they be adding a new shift whicg might change his hours again anyhow so yeah there that. Oh and question anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it it's growing on part of my co-op and I don't know what it and I am not sure I want to touch it lol.IMG_20180914_091222.jpg

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's a type of fungus... pour some chlorine bleach on it and that should kill it. It indicates that the wood it's growing on is rotted out/water logged/not good. It isn't poisonous to the touch or anything.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was concerned that's what it was okay yeah we had alot of rain its filled up the kiddy pools and troughs I had for the animals so much I haven't needed to mess with them. Now just need to get rid of the mosquitos ahh we don't often have this many so now how to keep the off the goats.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you and some times I like my buck and other times he a pain... He in his rut so he keep bugging me I took a stick this time just to keep him off me. That didnt go to well I end up (mind you I was just tapping him) catching him in the mouth I got him down to check on him his mouth was fine but his back teeth caught my thumb note to self avoid back teeth. After I got him pen he left alone for a bit. We really need a separate pen for him.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
:thok I need boots again...we had a lot of rain and the pastures are full of grass so I took the goats out and was attempting to have Stella help ( two person job but only one person available lol). Stella was trying to take them back to their pen :he...atleast she has that down I guess but honestly mud and running goats equals sliding and my normal (husband old shoes) muddy yard shoes don't work. I ended up taking them off and that help a bit but I got severally muddy lol my husband not a fan lol. But Stella got exercise and the goats are in a pasture not where I exactly wanted but it works as long as they stay there lol.:idunno

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay it's hot but got some of the pens taken care of. IMG_20180925_142026.jpg The goats have for three days behaved in the field so I haven't had to go buy hay YAY. Hopefully they keep it up I would love to let them roam out in the pastures. Next job will be planting the garden with our plants I ll have to make sure to get that done. 1537904487350583119416.jpg I can't wait I also have some in pots. We planted lettuce (spanich but didn't come up), broccoli, cauliflower, pumkin, bell pepper, jalapeño, banana peppers, cherry, Roman, and a large variety tomato. In the pots we have carrots, green beans, peas, and beets. We also planted some apple seeds and orange seeds and we planting some avocado seeds (I have had better luck growing them in pots then the jar trick).

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
ummmm... I know you're in TX, so am I... It's kinda late in the year now to be planting a garden... Unless you're maybe located way down south like near Brownsville? And even there? I mean tomatoes and peppers should have been picked by now and the plants getting to old age... Broccoli, cauliflower, & lettuce are cool weather plants, so might do OK... :idunno I mean, I'm no gardener by any stretch... Maybe I'm out to lunch? :hu

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's always been funny how large Texas is. Lol I forget that alot of states aren't this big(says the woman who never been outside of Texas lol). I was born in Texarkana and from were we live now it's an 8 hr drive lol and its 4hrs to Brownsville. Everyonce in awhile I read about other states and how you can get to one side in under 5 hours instead of still being the the state lol.