A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Officially annoyed Lucy (my 5yr old) snuck into the bird yard and she tried to grab a duck and one of my roosters went after her... I caught him after dealing with an over in rut acting buck today ( I don't know why maybe my hormones or his or different to day)I had to pin him twice and he still went for me :he. So now I trying to decided of the rooster deserve to be dinner or not. I am just frustrated because he my Rhode island mix that was part of my breeding plan( he never comes near me even when I grab birds he under a year old). He a nice rooster for the girls and dang it he was nice to us before thi s:barnie.y'all thoughts i leaning towards killing him but I really don't want to but my worn out brain... Should I kill or keep him??

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Keep your 5yr old out of the chicken pen and it shouldn't be an issue... Keep him long enough for him to breed the hens for a few weeks and collect the eggs to hatch. Good chance you'll get at least one replacement roo out of the chicks to replace him with.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was so frustrated earlier with her because she knows she not allowed in there to began with we have six geese and there and the gander can be mean if you mess with the ducks or his hens Joshua (about to be 3yr) and myself are the only two who he afraid of.(Josiah doesn't count lol) looks like I spending time this weekend clipping wings. I have one other rooster its just he smaller breasted and I was hoping to get more dual purpose next spring I didn't plan to hatch until February. Thats why I am debating my husband wants to keep him.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, if she knows she's not supposed to be in there, and she went anyway, I'd say it was her fault, not the roo's... Granted 5 year olds don't have much in the way of mental acuity, and roosters aren't geniuses either, and I'm sure neither you nor your husband want you child to get seriously hurt by one of the animals. I'd say improve the latch/lock so that she can't go in there again. Having been attacked, she may now be afraid to go back in there, hence problem solved.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not the first time she got attacked last roo went to freezer. But thats a different story he was mean. I went ahead an also removed his spurs just incase he gets out or she goes in with me and something happens. (Don't plan on her going in but never know where my brain is some days).

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Daisy is pregnant this time she always been a skinny doe lol she now the biggest lol. 1538673311317276356649.jpg

Attachments

• 1538673287174793665832.jpg
    1538673287174793665832.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 61

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs mean roosters do suck. Our son teased our first rooster and through the fence soo... a latch wasn't a solution. It was very difficult to supervise him when I had 25 other things to take care of (he was an only child then even) and it didn't take much for the rooster to get nasty with everyone. hopefully he can do his job and give you a nice offspring quickly.