A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
So far Lucy has behaved and only gone in when I am in there. And the rooster hasn't acted out. I was surprised that he went after her considering when I am in the yard he stays ten feet from me and the closes he will stay is five feet from me and that's because I walked up on him. I had to trap him in the coop in order to catch him. I am going to continue to remove his spurs and the other roosters as well just to make sure incase there's another moment where he decides to be mean. Anyways we had a talk with her about it because she was lucky it wasn't the gander and his flock that came to the rescue. Thegeese normally protect the ducks so I was shocked that it was the rooster.
Ok so Lilly my doe doesn't look pregnant but if she pregnant its only by a month or less but she was rubbing on the buck the other day and he vuvla was swollen so I haven't a clue but the buck wasn't acting like he detected a heat so I think she is confused.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Don't you rub on your "man" sometimes even though you're not "in heat"? :duc:hide I've seen my does do that to the buck as well, even though they had no interest in mating at all. Heck, they even come up and rub on me... nibble my shorts/pants... wag their tails at me when I'm scratching them... reach up to give me kisses... (Maybe I should shower more frequently? Hmmmm) Sometimes them gals just need the smell of a man. and a buck in rut definitely has some smell... lasts long after rut too! :D :duc:hide
(hope I haven't earned a real :smack for that...)

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol :lol: love it lol I was just saying cause she swollen made me nervous lol I want babies lol. (It takes alot to get me mad well unless you mess with my babies then its on like donkey Kong lol). And yes it does as soon as he out of his rut lover boy is getting a bath lol. He been such a brat this rut I thinking he finally growing up. He also now huge lol he still has some fatting up to do again:rolleyes:. I keep debating about keeping a buck but most of the farms around are closed off to anyone not born on their farms so guess I just have to deal with him. I would really like to get a separate pen set up for him. Oh I can't remember if I told y'all but I had the out in the field and the cows came up to them and bucktried his luck with them he got chased lol he kept rearing up on different heifers and all of them (separately) :popshowed him who was boss the last one chased him shaking her head lol it was funny to see him taken down a notch he started crying for me lol.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's it the red havester ants endangered or not are going to die!!!! They finally had stopped biting now they are biting again I have had it with these thing their worse than wasp stings.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well either they were really big foxes are really young coyotes (we have red wolf coyote crosses) but they stole a duck happened to be my favorite of course the best mama duck out of the six we had. I be doing fencing today again. The worst part is I couldn't shoot them... The cows where chasing them and I didn't want to take the chance to hit a cow with the dang things being that close to the cows. And the herd going crazy. I am not such a bad shot but my husband alot better.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
sorry you lost a duck. Glad you didn't lose more. you said chasing "them" so more than one? Typically foxes don't hunt in groups, they are more or less solitary hunters. Therefore I'd guess coyotes, which DO hunt in packs, or stray/feral dogs.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
The reason I even said fox was the coloring but they were large the same size as Stella and she a medium to large dog. They were red and I couldn't get that good of a look because they were running for their life's from the cows. But I could see one a ways off was carrying my duck in its mouth. I honestly an sure they where coyotes we have a cross vesuon with red wolf out here so it would make since. Definitely not going to be having kids outside with out me and I ll be armed.(I was five and was attacked by a coyote if it had not been for my dog I would not be here. She attached the coyote) I am not a fan of coyotes they have their purpose but not near my house. They got lucky the cows couldnt catch then they would have killed both they have calves out.