A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh and she was alone in the other goat house. I had both yards open so they had access to two houses and she went to one b her self with out her sister so pretty sure we getting somewhere

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
So far no kids her vulva is swollen a d very loose but no discharge. And she eating so I don know...
Other news I am tryin to decided I it's just because she a puppy or I just need to build a kennel area to lock her in unless where outside/home with her. Stella will Be year old in March. The other day she hurt a hen (went out ack came back to a exshausted hen with a one inch wound) today I was start my chores outside and find a dead hen and no obvious wounds(didn't look that close as I had Josiah the baby with me) but Stella was obviously feeling guilty she hung her head and went and laid down on her bed. Know she a herding dog/ hunting dog being Australian Shepherd and lab mix so. Get the insticts there but this is old. That makes three birds since we have had her that have been injured or killed (one found dead one died of shock the other is in a dog crate healing). So outside of locking the hens in the coop at night of course and making sure the door does not get opened until I am up (they stay in large run) and clipping wings to make sure they don't get out into the yard for the dog and kids and possibly buildin her a kennel along with more training what can I do.? I know it's mostly because she gets bored when we aren't here or up but it not like I can avoid that all the time. The other issue is I need more time to work on commands with her she gotten out and chased the cows but won listen to his grandparents:barnie and they do not call me and I am the oldy one she Really responds to. :he i don blame her for acting like a puppy or dog however I need her not to kill certian things and only herd animals on command....

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Outside of penning this dog up I am at a end she wont go after any animal when I am outside but if I am gone or inside an a chicken gets out she herds it back I but if it won fly back in (for some reason they can fly outs even with clipped wings but can't figure out to do the same thing get in) she then uses her mouth after it and some times just grabs it and she doesn't normally kill them they end up diein from cold (because she slobbered them that chicken on ha scrathess) the next hen died from a crop issue but had a one inch wound from where the dog had ripped out feathers when the hen tried to escape I found the hen laying down I the yard and Stella was o her bed not messing with it the next .just found dead yesterday morning not sure what happen no visible wounds that I saw on my quick check and this morning another hen got out and she had it in her mouth but as soon as I knocked on the window she let it go and walked away she knows she not allowed to message with them. I pretty sure she not trying kill them but is just bored. I just sure I going to have to keep her pen unless we are outside to prevent this which I didn't allow want do. Do y'all have any ideals? I don't have much work for her right now to keep her busy. I do want her chasing the momma goat with he kids or the pregnant doe. And buck is in his own pen .The cows are to dangerous for her by herself. Plus they aren't mine so that isn't an option. This morning she helped me herd the gander back in to his pen and she doesn't great no mouth just pouncig and normal herdin she listens great it's just the boredom that get birds Hurt or killed

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sucks when a dog decides the chickens are play things. :hugshope you find a solution. Our aussiex would probably do the same left to her own devices... but she's inside unless we're out.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind her inside but she tend to get to hyper with the kids at times so I can keep her in all the time. She really good with them until my five year old decides to run around and act crazy. She lay down and let the ten month almost eleven month old eat her ears and pull her hair she love him greatly and she also like the kids toys lol

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder I building an agility course would help ... I can see the kids running it too lol

Latest posts