A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I honestly don't know my girls and buck whereby this way when they were kids they were chunky looking were very active and healthy. I know my girls arent show quality because of their ears. The herds they came from where off a dairy farm so not sure. I haven't had them tested

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
He the buckling has a good appetite most of the time. But he is not very active and seems not to be able to see I posted pictures of his eyes they very cloudy one he seems to be able to see some out of the other not at all.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends-
You can pull hair samples and have DNA testing done without blood draws.
UC Davis /VGL does them. If you are part of a registry it is substantially discounted.

If a goat is Affected, Carrier, Normal bred to Affected, Carrier or Normal you can determine outcome by doing a simple punnett square.

Ok that was alot of info..... Ok so most likely both my doe and buck are carriers then....
Not necessarily.

An example of this is here (this is determining ears on a mini but it is example of use of punnett square
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/mini-manchas-breeding-trouble-x-henry.36927/#post-526231

Basically you would plug in NN for Normal AA Affected.... where a NA comes up is a Carrier
Probability is the key-

Carrier to Carrier= you have a 25%NN, 50%NA and 25%AA probability

Blindness can also be deficiency, vitamin A is critical for eyes as well as others.
There are also other factors, disease etc.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remember probability- just because you can have 25/50/25 doesn't mean you will- you could end up with all AA, all NA, or all NN

When starting out with livestock it takes money... getting healthy disease free animals, feeding, care, etc is all part of it... what that does is builds a healthy herd for you to do something with... be it meat or milk or both. In the long run not finding these things out and learning through issues that arise means in the long run you will spend far more on issues that you will up front.