A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need up looking at a plucker last year when I processed 10+ birds it took me three days to finish. The kids helped for a few minutes lol the quickly tired of pulling feathers. I probably start with one of those I was looking at cottage cheese and a few others the cottage cheese recipe (one of the several recipes for the cheese) grossed me out I am not sure I would be OK with letting my kids eat it. It calls for you to leave it on the counter for 1-2 days I am not to comfortable with that one

That is how it is cultured.

We usually have our cheese hanging in the cheesecloth but within a container.

CHEESE! July 2,2016 060.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kids are doing great they actually are completely obsessed with their little brother. They fight over who gets to hold him, help with him its actually funny and annoying lol. I was breastfeeding and Joshua (2year old) kept asking to hold Josiah and would get mad at me if I told him the baby was eating so he had to wait lol. It's funny everyone always has warned me about adding another baby and the older getting jealous I don't have that issue so far they each have been over joyed and obsessed with the new addition.

I had 9 and all were overjoyed with each addition and excited when I was pregnant and with every birth. Jealousy is because of parents, not realizing it they promote such things. I always shake my head at that one.
Means your doing something right! :D All kids should rejoice with a new addition!

Lovely family!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was looking at cottage cheese and a few others the cottage cheese recipe (one of the several recipes for the cheese) grossed me out I am not sure I would be OK with letting my kids eat it. It calls for you to leave it on the counter for 1-2 days I am not to comfortable with that one
Actually, leaving the milk and/or cheese out on the counter is perfectly safe. It causes natural probiotics (good bacteria) to culture. That is what gives cheese much of its texture and flavor. Mankind has been doing that since back in Jesus time, when they didn't have refrigeration. Yogurt is a milk product that I'm sure Jesus, himself, ate a lot of.

These days, when you make many different kinds of cheese, you add a white powder, which is what we call "culture". Mesophilic is a very common one, that is added to the milk, and left on the counter from 8 to as many as 24 or 36 hours to culture, before you make the cheese. There are other culture powders, as well, that give different textures and flavors. I use Mesophilic culture powder when I make Feta cheese. It doesn't taste anything like the cheese you buy in the store. But, OMG it is SOOOO good!!! Chévre is another cheese that can be made with or without culture powder. It is an easy cheese to make. I started with mozzarella. I was a bit nervous, and afraid of failure at first. In the beginning, I made a few mistakes, but but that's how we learn. I kept at it and now I pretty much make good mozzarella every time every time.

One good place to start is at Cheesemaking.com. That is where I buy all my cultures and rennet. Here is a link to there Beginner's page:

https://www.cheesemaking.com/learn/cheese-making-1-2-3.html

I bought a cheese making eBook on Amazon, and has it loaded onto Kindle on my iPad. I could be wrong, but, I think I only paid about $10 for it. It's called:

Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
By Ricki Carroll

I turn to it a lot when I am in cheese making mode.

You could also look on YouTube, for videos showing how to make Chévre or mozzarella. I did that before making my first batch of mozzarella and it did help give me the confidence to start.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! Y’all made me feel so much better about leaving cheese out while it’s being made. It completely makes sense now! Thanks all!

Now to just get enough milk to try making some!!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is good to know about the cheese thank you diffently makes me feel better I just feel odd about look up recipe and choosing the best one

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet did a great job explaining!

It is IMO "normal" for it to feel strange about leaving it out... everyone I know, including me, felt the same way.
I am still afraid to make Feta by myself.:lol: @babsbag has to fly all the way from California to my place to make Feta. That's why I love her- just for the Feta! :p

I think starting with chevre is the easiest and the cheese that you can do so much with... eat it plain, mix in the flavors you like, sweet, savory... it really is as simple is pastuerize the milk coll til the temp that your culture tells you to. Add culture, gently stir, leave it sit til it curds.... drain into cheesecloth, hang. Save some whey just in case you hang to long and it is dry. Do what you want with it.

WHen I make bagel spreads with my chevre I hang the cheese til it is a bit dry... this way when I add real maple syrup and chopped walnuts it is creamy but still like a spread.
Anything I use with liquid I make drier. If you do honey they drier... if you do garlic and chive or something like that you want it creamy... you just open up your cheesecloth, take a spoon and dig into the middle... you learn as you go. Depending on how much cheese you have hanging too.... 5 lbs of cheese will hang longer than 1-2 lbs.
When we have a big batch I just separate into 2 or 3 cloths and hang.

I have lots of pictures if you want to see a step by step

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love homemade Feta cheese, and it is time to make some more. When I get the dairy up and running...come on ladies, let those kids out :) ...I want to get a vacuum sealer for aging my Feta. The dairy inspector is a little concerned about a big vat of brine sitting around since I am also bottling milk so another way to do the Feta is to salt it and vacuum seal it for a few weeks. I really think that will be easier than babysitting a brining tank anyways, I just need the money to buy the sealer.

Latest posts