A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cecropia moth if my indentfication is correct.

Attachments

• cecropia+Hayat+Qurunful.jpg
    cecropia+Hayat+Qurunful.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 240

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love the kids in the trough too. That is neat that you have the caterpillar and for it to make the cocoon. Great lesson for the kids too. It will be a beautiful moth if you are right about the type.

You might want to try to get her on a little bit more of a schedule because she will wear you out. She obviously is not "starving to death" so maybe more play time to distract her from eating? I never let my son eat on demand like that. Yes, he did get to eat often when he wanted, but by 2 months, I was limiting him because he was so chubby and wanted to eat constantly. My old family dr said that he was digesting the milk so fast that his tummy was getting empty because it wasn't "sticking to his ribs" so to speak. We started on cereal and he would be satisfied for 3-4 hours at a time. I needed that break so badly. I know today they say not to introduce any solid food for months and months, but I felt like he had "helped raise" all of us kids, then my son, and that he had some experience to back it up.
Understand my son was 7lb 7 oz at birth, 10 lbs @ 2 weeks, and 33 lbs at a year. He didn't start walking until he was 13 months because he could just scoot around on his butt, and was so chubby. Then he grew taller, then chubby, then taller....and taller and taller....
By the way, he was almost 6 ft at 12 yrs old........ and is 6ft 6 inches with a size 15+ foot as an adult... weighs 210-220 average so not fat.
I don't think the cereal hurt him any, and it sure gave me some "down time"....

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly I am about to start her on food i wait till 4 months then we hit up food. I am counting the days. Yeah ably a week maybe two she was already 11lbs lol she a fat girl. My mom saw my skill at rocking the chair she always in with my foot and draggining it with said foot around the kitchen as i did chores so that she would be happy and fall asleep as i worked lol. I gotten good at that after i did it with the boys. Midwife doesnt suggest feeding till 6month but what ever your lucky I remember what year she was born at this point. Lol. The older kids have lots of fun being on the farm. Lots to do however they claim their bored cause they have nothing to do:rant:duc:th

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Honestly I am about to start her on food i wait till 4 months then we hit up food. I am counting the days. Yeah ably a week maybe two she was already 11lbs lol she a fat girl. My mom saw my skill at rocking the chair she always in with my foot and draggining it with said foot around the kitchen as i did chores so that she would be happy and fall asleep as i worked lol. I gotten good at that after i did it with the boys. Midwife doesnt suggest feeding till 6month but what ever your lucky I remember what year she was born at this point. Lol. The older kids have lots of fun being on the farm. Lots to do however they claim their bored cause they have nothing to do:rant:duc:th

I breastfed all my kids and always did it on demand, it is exhausting. Worth it for sure but exhausting. Youre doing great. by the time my third child was born she got used to being carted around, as i did all i needed to do with the other two, i used a wrap and wore her, she was the most easy going baby ever, still is an easy going kid. Felt like a milk cow for about five years between all my kids lol

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol well that exactly how I feel lol. She rarely is able to drain me fully so i over produce and she gets mad at me because she gets to much milk while she drinking lol. She seems to think i can control it. This morning is better she asleep right now about to run out to do chores but apparently it's cold so need to get dressed first. Then we will come inside an start school while the kids do that i be cleaning some. I planning to bake some bread and blue berry muffins. We having pulled pork for dinner thats been going and currently all the kids are outside and its nice and quite lol i am enjoying it well mostly i keep getting business calls about loads so i still working. Oh well lol life contiunes at a crazy pace. Hopefully i be able to go to sleep before 12 tonight. I need to make a list so i dont forget my chores lol. I keep thinking I get more sleep at some point. My mom thinking of staying till Thursday evening because she has groceries order for pick up Friday morning. That another thing we need is some groceries. Running low on bacon and potatoes and a few other things we use alot of. My oldest boy just started liking baked chicken thats a miracle he has a sever gag reflex, for breakfast its bacon, cereal or granola bars for him, lunch its nuggets or granola, and same for dinner with the sides he likes being green beans, raw carrots, frozen blue berrys, grapes, apples, raw broccoli, and he like chips, cheese its, gold fish, pretzals, and of course milk. He my pickiest eater. The older is picky on some things but will eat what i serve under protest but she eats it as long as she gets enough protein i am happy. The younger boy likes everything, however he feel ok about baked beans but prefers something else. It's funny they all use to eat everything then the get broken wont eat anything and when they are fixed its not the same they still have somethings they won't eat.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cecropia moth
Whoa, I looked it up:
"Hyalophora cecropia, the cecropia moth, is North America's largest native moth. Females have been documented with a wingspan of five to seven inches (160 mm) or more."
I've seen a Luna moth and thought THAT was huge! OK, looked that up too, seems to have about the same wingspan.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
The very next day another showed up and made a cocoon on our fence right next to the gate the kids got to watch two make a cocoon and ds1 found a chrysalis and we put it in with the cocoon and it already came out looks to be another kind of moth. Their are moth and butterflies everywhere around us. The kids are enjoying it. That and all the birds they come to visit we see cardinals, finches, blue jays, doves, starlings, these tiny things i don't have a clue what they are, humming birds, black belly whistling ducks, Mexican eagles, vultures, a red tail hawk and one other i can't recall the name of ... most come to the yard but the three predatory birds just hunt in the pastures near our house.