A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tend to agree. I keep talking to my (sound elementaryish) best friend and she a nonsense kind of gal just to help not get worn down on these same argument we keep having. I love my husband he a good man but he wants to help everyone my parents included no matter what. He was a fireman when we first met but he stopped when we got pregnant with our oldest as he wanted to have a safer job..
Let's just go with after that. Lol but he a very kind man and will put himself in harm's way to help complete strangers. I don't mind helping other but i am thinking about our babies and they come first as bad as that sounds in some ways oh well they my responsibility so yeah. My dad had so many wrecks, also he tears them up inside and I am not okay with that either.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish he saw that lol. He thinks i am paranoid and I am in some ways on this. He asked me if i would trust anyone i told him yes and no. Yes but i will always also not trust them simply because people make mistakes and things happen and change also because we be an employer and not their buddy. And three stricks(depending on what it is) and your out. I am probably harsher on this then he thought i would be. He wanted to hire one of his friends for what he says is my farm i told him no i didn't want to deal with his buddy all day first off second i am not making that money to pay that person third i like a hobby farm to provide for my family and not a business farm i would have to devote more time to.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wish he saw that lol. He thinks i am paranoid and I am in some ways on this. He asked me if i would trust anyone i told him yes and no. Yes but i will always also not trust them simply because people make mistakes and things happen and change also because we be an employer and not their buddy. And three stricks(depending on what it is) and your out. I am probably harsher on this then he thought i would be. He wanted to hire one of his friends for what he says is my farm i told him no i didn't want to deal with his buddy all day first off second i am not making that money to pay that person third i like a hobby farm to provide for my family and not a business farm i would have to devote more time to.
You have a good head on your shoulders. I would tell my husband the same thing, its hard with ego and all sometimes getting in the way on their part. My husband is also a very kind guy and wants to help everyone, even to the detriment of himself. Its a trait i both admire and struggle with but when it comes down to the wire your business and your family is who you have to protect.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's not selfish to put your families welfare and safety first. That's called being a parent. You are being wise to look at the long view.
Friendships don't mix well in a employer/employee relationship anyway, like others said. Would he hire a stranger with known road rage issues to drive one of his vehicles? Probably not, at least I hope not. Same as not hiring a person to babysit who has a history of abuse, even if they happen to be a friend. Hire for the job, not the sentiments.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I look at it like this, his business is growing fast and he wants to expand, and that's all very good. But it's ultimately his reputation he's laying on the line when he hires someone. If they do poorly they aren't just hurting themselves, they can ruin his name and he may never be able to rebuild the trust that it takes to establish a business in the long term. A good reputation is everything, and it can be so easily destroyed.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mabey you need to explaine to him that with everything going on in the world right now, it's time you both focus more on what is best for you and your family and your business ...you can't take care of family and friends until you are able to take care of your self...and that goes for family living with you too, I don't mean to sound curt or mean, but your parents shouldn't rely on you to bail them out and give them a home when you have four young children to take care of ....take care of yourself FIRST, that's where your responsibilities lie :hugs

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with the "sub-contract" out to other drivers already in business. Their vehicle, their insurance..... Also that you hire for the job.
I think that you and your husband need to write out a list of what you would consider for a new hire and then apply it to whomever else you are consider. But at this point, only a couple months into this new venture, trying to expand already is just much too soon. Times are not normal, and there is a very good chance in 6 months it could go the other way. There is alot riding on this whole Corona Virus situation, and the economy of this country and the world in general.
Besides that, you already had some truck problems, you need to think more about equipment than a new person. We never buy new, so I am not making a judgement at all, but you need equipment to do the job. You do not need to add more until you have established yourself for at least a year..... and these are not normal times to get established in.