A knot under horses neck...

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the horses I'm babysitting has a knot under it's neck, almost centerline but a bit to the left. Just before the jawbone. It is pretty soft, fairly deep in and you can easily move it around with your fingers. If I had to describe it in human anatomy, I would equate it to what a swollen lymph node feels like, but not quite as hard..feels about like a peeled hard boiled egg if that makes any sense. Not a good picture, but you can see it's outline.

It doesn't seem to be causing any pain and the owner is currently on his way to Israel for Christmas.
I'm not really a horse person but sure don't want anything the happen to them on my watch.I'm watching them and feeding them as a favor only. Not any kind of paid gig.
I thought it might be goiter but it's slightly off to the left side and doesn't feel like the goiter I remember from decades ago when we had horses.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Two things I can think of first hand would be strangles & a goiter due to the thyroid. Do you know the age of the horse? Any nasal discharge?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not that I could find and all other aspects of his health, activities and behavior seem normal. It does not seem to bother him if I touch or move around the lump.

(I have not checked his temperature)
Two things I can think of first hand would be strangles & a goiter due to the thyroid. Do you know the age of the horse?
Around 10 yrs old, maybe a little younger.
I suppose I have heard of strangles but I had to look it up to find out what it is. You may be correct.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two things I can think of first hand would be strangles & a goiter due to the thyroid. Do you know the age of the horse? Any nasal discharge?

My thoughts, also Did it just appear in the few days you've had them? If strangles you need a vet! There will be antibiotics for several days. Such festers can/will break open, contagious, generally a temp and very sick horse.

OR Pigeon fever... a horse distemper.

Both need vet attention. Both are messy.

Amelie the Bee Keeper

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My thoughts, also Did it just appear in the few days you've had them? If strangles you need a vet! There will be antibiotics for several days. Such festers can/will break open, contagious, generally a temp and very sick horse.

OR Pigeon fever... a horse distemper.

Both need vet attention. Both are messy.
Pigeon fever starts at the chest then moves so I don't know if that would be it but I think a vet should be involved for this.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The horse was seen by other acquaintances of the owner late Saturday and it is back on the owner's other property. I was not here when they came by, so I really don't know what the determination was, but evidently, it is not serious.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update. Serious enough a man was shot over it last night and ended up at my door bleeding from an In N Out 9mm bullet wound..
The lump is swollen lymph node, caused by infection, which is caused by ingesting spear grass that came in some hay the horse's owner brought in from San Antonio area. All of the horses are suffering from it to some extent.

Latest posts