A Little Help With Goat Dewormers

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi guys!! I'm back again with another question:th. My babies are just reaching the age for some dewormer. I'm thinking about buying the Dumor brand. That comes in the bucket-type package. It's online at TSC. But when I buy it, how often should I given it to them and how much at a time? Should I put it in their daily grains? I would estimate that they are about 20-30 pounds, but definitely still growing. They should be near 100 pounds when they are fully grown. Any answers would be great!!! And if you guys don't like the dewormer I picked out, please tell me about any better dewormers I could buy, thanks!

Madelyn

Last edited:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My limited experience was not good. I have no idea if it works because my goats won't eat it! I liked the idea of a pellet but there are two reasons I tried it once and threw out the bag-first is that it is so difficult to measure out the right amount, especially if you don't have a good scale. Second is you have to give them a lot of pellets and of my 8 goats, not one would eat the quantity they needed to! Now other people have given it better reviews elsewhere so maybe I have picky goats, haha. I don't even remember which types of worms it treats or have any idea if it works if your goats will eat it so maybe someone else could weigh in on that!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use the pellets as you can't ever really know that they got enough, unless you feed them separately. The best way to worm is to get a fecal done by your vet or learn to do your own and only worm when needed. There is a growing resistance to dewormers so we need to use them judiciously. Ivermectin is a very common dewormer for barber pole worms, and some other worms as well. You buy the injectable meds and give it orally to the goat. I use 2cc/100lbs but your vet should be the one to give you a dosage. You really need to know if you have worms and what kind, it is the best and safest route.

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is just a random question I have, well, a couple of questions. Maybe it could help, too...
I've always used safeguard for my horses, but I have seen A LOT of debate on here about it. No real conclusions, but a lot of debate.
Does it work?? It does for my horses, but what about the goat kind?? Can I use the one for horses for a goat??
Is there something better??

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Kaye I have heard that you should never use things for horses on goats, as it could cause serious harm, but I can't be sure. Maybe these people could help you.
@babsbag @Latestarter @NH homesteader

@babsbag I do feed my goats in seperate bowls. They usually do not eat each others. They are pretty good about that.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kaye you will probably get answers both ways, and more debate! Haha, I am using it right now so I'll get back to you once I prove that it did or did not work. In the meantime there are tons of posts on here about safeguard and dewormers in general. It is my current primary goat challenge that I have spent far far too much time thinking about haha!

As for using horse dewormer on goats, I don't know. It may be the same thing labeled differently or it may have different ingredients.

Madelynmccabe, seriously? You can get your goats to leave each other's food alone? Mine are so not that cooperative. I had to take one at a time out of the pen to feed them their pellets when I tried that dewormer!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kaye you will probably get answers both ways, and more debate! Haha, I am using it right now so I'll get back to you once I prove that it did or did not work. In the meantime there are tons of posts on here about safeguard and dewormers in general. It is my current primary goat challenge that I have spent far far too much time thinking about haha!

As for using horse dewormer on goats, I don't know. It may be the same thing labeled differently or it may have different ingredients.

Madelynmccabe, seriously? You can get your goats to leave each other's food alone? Mine are so not that cooperative. I had to take one at a time out of the pen to feed them their pellets when I tried that dewormer!

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@NH homesteader I just put the bowls far apart and put one goat at each bowl. Whenever they tried to move to the other bowl to steal food I would just take them back to their food bowl. It took about 2 weeks of sitting with them and monitoring but they eventually did it!! So no more stealing food for my goats! Now they will stay at their own bowls even if I'm not around, it just takes some patience and time. They are really smart and learn quickly, just like dogs!

Latest posts